View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1772392)   #5
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem for spectators know what is going on is easily solved!

1) Radio coverage of the commentary, but also sell branded low cost radios at the circuit, or give them away with the program!
2) Position lights on the cars as per ALMS
3) Big TV screens dotted about

But I don't think that's the problem, I think it's more a problem that 4 wheeled motor racing outside of F1 (and LM, and possibly BTCC) is just not fashionable in this country! There are so many alternatives for people to spend there leisure pounds on that spending an afternoon in the cold at Silverstone or Brands or Donington just doesn't appeal to many people anymore. It's not just endurance racing that has a problem getting the fans to attend, I've been to many a race meeting where there are more cars on the grid than fans in the stands (or so it seems)! The cost of tickets is always an issue, but then many leisure activities or sporting events cost way more attending a LMS or GT race weekend, and often circuits don't charge for kids anyway. But maybe if hospitality marquees could be offered at a sensible price it might attract punters for a special day out, but probably no in large numbers.

For the fans that are prepared to make the effort I've always found the LMS and FIA GT teams quite welcoming, just as long as you don't get in the way! and the autograph session at Donington was well attended by drivers and fans alike!

What doesn't help LMS and GT's is the miserly coverage given to it by magazines like Autosport who give over pages and pages to a dull as ditchwater GP but only a page or so to a 6 hour LMS race!

I don't think there is any magic wand to get fans attending LMS or GT races, the three things I mentioned at the top would certainly help, but also telling the public and fans alike all about the series and whats on offer might inform potential spectators. Almost everyone reading this or other Endurance racing forums are already fans, but far too many will only ever go to LM, why is that?