View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2813509)   #7
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Club racing is not run for spectators. Except for the committed enthusiast (and we ought to be - committed that is ) it is boring.

Club racing is run for the competitors. Repeat until it sinks in.

Regards

Jim
I will actually disagree a bit with you there! Some of the finest and most exiting racing I have ever had the privaledge to watch has been these commited enthusiasts! I have seen the multi-millionaires in their f1 cars and would sooner go to watch a 750 motor club meeting any day!

I can see why you would say club racing is run for the competitors, that is why it is club racing. I also think that club racing is the bedrock of all motorsport. I know (as I have said before, I have zero talent in the driving department) that club racers enjoy their sport and many are not contemplating a future of yachts and glamourous girlfriends in the world of formula one. I just regard the lack of spectators at some of these club meetings as a shame. Surely more spectators is not a bad thing? After all some of these spectators may just decide to have a go themselves and you never know the next hamilton or button might just start out by watching a "clubbie" at a wet and cold Brands Hatch!
Club racing is for "amateurs" but by the same token my grumble aout a lack of on-track action during the day reflects on entry fees. Surely the track hire comes from the entry fees and if the track is unused then the money is being wasted. More entries for more races would surely mean a lower cost per car..and I am sure lowering any cost towards club racers is not bad thing.
The initial question was about circuit improvements bringing in more spectators. perhaps if the circuits only received the gate money then you would see some amazing promotions!
As I keep saying, I enjoy watching club racing, but I am afraid I am starting to find more and more empty space around me at every meeting I attend.The age is starting to creep up and that to me is a bad sign as there is no new generation of fans to replace us old`uns. Perhaps if you regard spectators as unimportant, why not run the meetings behind closed doors? A bit of negotioating with the circuit owners would give a lower hire cost as they would not require security staff and public liability insurance ( tongue slightly in cheek there!)