View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3112311)   #9
RacingSportsCars
Rookie

RacingSportsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Return to the roots

Personally I would prefer something like in the 60s and 70s when there were simply unified rules as how a team or manufacturer can modify street GT model for racing. There was a required minimum production over the 12 and 24 month to classify such road-going car as a GT, thus avoid prototypes like Dauer 962 racing as a GT car, and that was all.

Back then there may not have been such variety like in current GT3 or ALMS GT but there was a real sense in racing for manufacturers titles as the speed of the cars was derived from their real production models. Today with all that stupid balancing, the race results does say nothing about the GT car performances. It just reflects how they were balanced or handicapped.

Than the cars could be divided into several classes by some criteria. Engine size (FIA GT Group 3 and Group 4) or general performance (SCCA Production Classes) was used in the past.

Today's GT racing is nice but so much artificial that there is almost no point in any kind of manufacturers championships at all. I know my idea is not realistic these days but if I could dream of something, I would return to the GT and racing roots in general .