View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2405296)   #23
mr_atspeed
Rookie

England
essex
mr_atspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a chassis dyno business I think I should defend my profession.

A chassis dyno is only as good as its operator. It is an excellent tool if used correctly.
If the dyno has got good quality software like ours we can log up to 28 channels which will always include an accurate torque, BHP, A/F ratio, oil/ water intake temperatures, along with boost pressure and manifold vacuum if needed. We also correct the readings with a weather station to an industry standard. We can also log EG temps if needed, all this recorded at 56,000 items per second and at 99% accuracy back to back.
A manufacturer and the larger engine builders will use an engine dyno because they have one. It is easier to use once installed and the 4/5 hour installation time is not an issue to them. Compare this with the 5/15 minutes taken on a chassis dyno. Bare in mind that most good engine dynos will use the same control software as us! To do development work on an engine it is best to use an engine dyno, there are far to many variables on the car to do this.
Many engine or components failures are blamed on the rolling road. In fact nearly all problems on rolling roads are caused by poor installation, like dirty oil coolers, dirty or far to small water radiators, poor electrics and a 5,000 RPM component installed on a 8,000 RPM engine. "He holed my piston". Did he? Did the injectors get cleaned and flow tested on a ASNU ultrasonic cleaning machine..bet he didn't!! Did he get the distributor stripped and checked?...bet he didn't!! Hope you see my point
With regard to keeping the engine cooler on an engine dyno. It will stay cooler because you will be using a very large external radiator. With our fans we have trouble keeping the cars hot not cool, provided the car has an adequatete radiator.
There are many cowboys in this tuning industry within this I will include engine builders, suspension experts, fabrication and engine/chassis dyno operators. You just have to weed out the idiots.
Having said all that, I have seen some horrific tuning done on rolling roads, and for sure these cars should never have left that workshop. As for advise, look at the equipment they are using and the working environment, ask around to get some sort of feedback about there operation.
Hope this helps.