View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2846973)   #9
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Wrong, Hayden podiumed, but has not won.

Isn't this really a case of alien status in the 800cc era?

Pedrosa is Honda's boy with one lucky win for Dovi. So is the Honda a dog and Dani is a mega talent?

Yamaha had two aliens, thus more wins by multiple riders.

Look at who has won races in the 800cc era other than rain type races, and you get the four aliens.
And yes, all four are mega talented.
You are correct about Nicky, I forgot about his podium at Aragon.

Yes Rossi is very special, yes Pedrosa is very special, yes Lorenzo is very special, yes Stoner is very special. I am not ranking Stoner against the other aliens, that will be determined in time. I am comparing Stoner's performance over the last 4 years AGAINST THE OTHER DUCATI RIDERS ONLY to back my opinion that the Ducati was and is a lemon.

The stats show that the average difference in lap times between the Hondas (factory and satellite) is "relatively" small. The average difference in lap times between the Yamahas (factory and satellite) is "relatively" small. On the other hand by comparison the average difference in lap times between the factory bike of Stoner and the 2nd factory bike and satellites is huge.

Hence my opinion that the Ducati has been a lemon flattered by a very special rider. Maybe one of the other very special riders might have been able to do the same, we'll never know. Maybe Rossi will be able to do it this year, we'll see. What can't be denied is that no other rider on the Ducati to date has been able to get close to the results Stoner has.

To me a bike that can only be ridden successfully by one rider, any rider, can not be classed as a good race bike. Without Stoner the Ducati has been a midpack to tailend bike only. Nicky has been able to approach the pointy end on occasions but not with any consistency.

The bike has been a lemon. And indications so far are that the 2011 bike is worse than the 2010 bike which was the worst so far. They may improve it but it hasn't been and won't be an "80 second fix".