View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3435484)   #770
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I watched a few races over the last few years (actually, I got confused by it being 'Pirelli' and not 'Speed' World Challenge), especially the Long Beach and St Petersburg rounds, partially because they're early in the season when I need a motorsport fix!

Last year and this I started watching more, because of those GT3s that are used in 'a billion other series', but that's because they are a fantastic 'set' of cars and I've wanted to see for years sonething akin to the Blancpain series run on the classic US tracks and street courses. Interestingly, I'd point to this when someone says 'US sportscars don't need global relevance' in the P2/DP debate.

PWC is different from the SRO series, it's more akin to the GT Asia series that has also recently taken off, but these idiosyncrasies are what make it interesting. For instance, since BES dropped the GT4 class I believe it has been poorer for it, but PWC still has a class that is everything GT4 should be.

So to answer your base question, I'm massively interested in the GTS class and really enjoy its racing. I haven't watched the TC races because that's a step below the speed/power that I find entertaining. Similarly though, I have only started watching Conti Challenge races this year and have been fascinated by them; they have the demi-endurance aspect and another 'GT4-esque' class and also race on another selection of great North American circuits.

In summary, I enjoy the global relevance of the GT3 class; in particular, the knowledge that the car I watch at Oulton Park in British GT is also eligible for PWC at Road America, at Sepang in Asian GT, in Interlagos in Brazilian GT, at Bathurst 12 Hours and the BES race at Baku. Meanwhile, I appreciate each of those series' unique factors, such as the tracks they race on but also 'national' cars such as GT Masters' Camaros, PWC's Cadillacs and British GT's Ginettas.

So do I love the series? No, but I'm thoroughly capable of enjoying it, and by having my own benchmarks for it, such as Enge in a Reiter Lambo or Nick Tandy in a Porsche GT3R, it makes me more and more interested to watch everything else that is a part of it.

Does that make some sense? Would like to hear your opinion too.