View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2012, 06:19 (Ref:3031310)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I put in for more road courses, but only a few more.

Realistically, the number of road courses NASCAR could do and put on a decent race is pretty limited.

Street circuits are just out, period. These cars are too big, heavy, and lumbering to be able to actually race around such courses. Even Long Beach, which is hardly the tightest one we've ever seen, would be a mess. Can you imagine the field trying to snake through the Fountain Complex? And that's IF they can even manage to make it through Turn 1 without blocking the entire track when they crash on the start or subsequent restarts.

I think Laguna Seca is too tight in enough spots that it will break up the field and lead to parade-like races, much like what we often get at Sears Point.

In theory, I'd like to see Cup on the Long Course at Watkins Glen, but "the Boot" is not going to be very quick for these cars, and I don't know that the uphill run from the "toe" of "the Boot" iwill be long enough to set up a pass.

Road America and Montreal are probably the best options for adding road courses to the Cup calendar. They have enough quicker stuff and long straights to give overtaking zones with some frequency, while also not having every corner be a 1st or 2nd gear affair for these cars.

The Alan Wilson tracks of Barber and Miller would be horrendous. Barber has no significant straightaways. I think the Cup guys might get a longer flat-out run at Sears Point than they would get at Barber. Miller has a long straight, but only one, and then you get to watch follow-the-leader for the rest of the either 3.048-mile, or 4.486-mile lap. The infield straight ends in a couple of very quick bends, which will NOT be conducive to passing in NASCAR machinery. Also, the fans would get bored having to wait two or even three minutes for the field to get back around to right in front of them.

Unfortunately, at Road Atlanta, I think about the only place you'd see passing, after the start and restarts, is on the back straight. There will be little passing into Turn 1, I would think, none in the Esses, and I don't know that the straight down to the bottom of the course will be quite long enough to set something up after getting strung out.

I think the regional series do NOT use either chicane at Lime Rock, at least they didn't used to. Even so, that's just a traffic nightmare to run Cup there.

Austin might be a reasonable choice. It should have a few flat-out stretches that are long enough to make something happen. Also, the three heaviest braking zones are supposed to have pitch changes in the middle of them, which could unsettle a leading car, and let someone behind dive in to take the apex and the position.

Portland, especially without the chicane, could be an interesting one. Most of the corners at either end are not so slow that you get an extreme accordion effect. Both straightaways are certainly long enough, and I would like to see the Cup cars launching off the curbs at the end of the back stretch.

I don't think Mid Ohio would work all that well. There would be the one good spot at the end of the back stretch. They might also be able to pass at "the Keyhole". However, the field would get very strung out around the rest of the lap, so I'm not all that hopeful.

The Nationwide Series showed that Mexico City could be alright for racing. I'm VERY glad that that chicane they used in the front straight was short-lived.

It's hard to know how Mosport would go, but it could be alright. I think it would work markedly better than Road Atlanta.

Mont Tremblant (without either chicane) might also be exciting for these guys. They might freak going over the top at Turn 1 the first few times they go through at speed.

Of course, at a number of these tracks, it would REALLY be useful to have rain tires, and the other required equipment for wet running.

You know, I'm just waiting for the season when they can't get a race, or three, in on the designated week, because of rain. It would sure put a lot of strain on all the personnel to be running one or more events between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If the rain check happens at a track like Watkins Glen, New Hampshire, Road America, or Pocono, snow might prevent it from getting done at all by late November/early December.

Finally, as for the complaints about running all these second races at tracks, I agree. There are only a handful or so that I would want to see twice a year. And I would like to see some that haven't been on the slate get a place: Gateway and Nashville come to mind. I'd also like to see a return to Rockingham.

Last edited by Purist; 26 Feb 2012 at 06:27.