View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2767712)   #4
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
brendonwood1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I had a look at a couple of books that I had here. The Bathurst '85 and Raceyear '85 books had brief summaries of the late 84/early 85 races.

The Benson & Hedges series as previously mentioned was held in late October/early November 1985.

So, here is a summary of those races.

BENSON & HEDGES SERIES

Rd 1: Manfield  
Distance: 4 hours. 
Starters: unknown (guess was around 30) 
Cars Eligible:FIA Group A; NZ Assembled Standard Production 0-1300cc, 1301-1600cc, 1601-2000cc, over 2,000cc 
POLE:Neville Crichton/Wayne Wilkinson BMW 635 Csi
RESULTS  
1stNeville Crichton/Wayne Wilkinson BMW 635 Csi
2ndBruce Fowler/Kirk StonemanHolden Commodore VH SS*
3rdLeo Leonard/Garry Sprague*Nissan 300ZX Turbo
4thPaul Adams/Allan WoolfToyota Corolla AE86 GT Liftback
5thDave McMillan/Gary PedersonFiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC*

NZ Production Results  
1stdrivers to be confirmedMitsubishi Cordia Turbo
* indicates that this needs confirmation  
Major retirements: Kent Baigent/Neal Lowe BMW 635CSi; Denis Hulme/Ray Smith Holden Commodore VH SS; Bruce Anderson/Wayne Anderson Ford Fairmont XE 5.8 V8  

Now, my memory must be faulty. I thought a Commodore finished second in the first two races and I thought that was the Hulme/Smith car. However, the Bathurst '85 confirms that the Hulme/Smith Commodore had a poor series with an untraceable fuel fault, so it can't have finished.

Now a couple of other notes. I thought the Nissan was driven by Leonard/Sprague, but I read an article in NZ Classic Driver recently profiling NZ saloon car racer Rod Collingwood which mentioned his involvement with the car. Not sure if Rod drove it at Manfield or in some of the NZ Touring Car Championship rounds however. I'll try to find and re-read the article.

Also, I need to confirm with those more knowledgeable than myself or those with access to contemporary reports that I have the finishing order correct.

Last edited by brendonwood1; 1 Oct 2010 at 12:42.