View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2989748)   #361
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
These are fair points. There's an important difference between Mal's car being eligible at an overseas event, and locally at the 12 hour; on foreign soil, there's an element of novelty.
That isn't so, locally.

The marketability of the 12 hour is now directly tied to the event being one of international persuasion, allure, and variety.
At present, no other event within Australia provides this with the same (or similar) level of perceived professionalism.

The organisers are trying to differentiate themselves from what the local market currently offers and, in my view, that seems fairly reasonable.
I do agree to a certain degree with the allure/profesionalism argument, and the idea of multiple v8supercar style vehicles in the race does kind of erk me at first but on second thought i also think it would be fantastic.

But it seems we have all forgotten the announcement halfway through the year that Commodore Cup is eligible for the event. Now thats a hell of a long way from the kind of image any of us really anticipate for the event so this decision is a strange one without the background knowledge.

So we have Asian and European teams allowed to enter a mix of completely modified endurance vehicles, and a precedent of the commodore cup cars being eligible. It is trully unfair for them to kick back Mal's entry.

The sad thing is that he does a very good job overseas showing what aussie privateer teams can do with a relatively fast car and gained plenty of respect. But here in his home country at a track synonymous with v8's and at an event that is trying to attract the competition he races against he isnt allowed in.

We sometimes get so obsessed with the with the image and elitesm(spelling?) of european cars that we bag the hell out of our local road and racing product when so many in the rest of the world love it.

I wouldnt want to see to many of this type of vehicle in the race, but for someone who puts a huge effort into racing overseas with a well prepared vehicle i think this is a massive slap in the face for mal when he isnt welcome to compete in his home race.

Last edited by nafe!; 21 Nov 2011 at 20:13.