View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2122298)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
i like to rev the nuts of a car, hence why i like my car more, although i look like a chav when i give it some beans you rev the nuts off it until the engine internals have burst through the bonnet and are dancing around.
That's what I dislike about petrols now - I'm revving the nuts off the damn thing and I'm not getting any appreciable response from the engine beyond an increase in volume (I suspect a petrol engine with a turbo would be ok - not tried that). A change of cams in a petrol engine can help (our rally car for example pulls a lot better since it had uprated cams put in it) but on a road car that's not really an option. Diesels have the power to hand - they may not rev highly but the power comes in a lot earlier and with a more appreciable surge and that's good for the grins

So to conclude - petrols are dull (unless they're tuned*) and turbo diesels rock. I will not be buying a petrol again - I can see no benefits.

* By tuned I mean properly tuned - not just an air filter and bean can exhaust combo fitted to a woefully underpowered hatchback sporting 3 tons of bodykit that acts as a large airbrake.