View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3011102)   #2472
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I often read that Audi and Porsche will compete with each other in 2014 with different technology and that the VW group has decided that Audi should use a diesel engine in combination with a flywheel based KERS and Porsche a petrol engine in combination with a battery based KERS.

Yes, the Porsche solution is very heavy, but is also twice as powerfull as an F1 KERS.
  • 911 hybrid
    • electric motors: 2 x 60 kW (version 1.0) vs 2 x 75 kW (version 2)
    • flywheel battery: 0.2 kWh = 720 kJ capacity (version 1.0) (source)
  • F1 KERS
    • 1 x 60 kW electric motor
    • chemical battery with a capacity of 6.67 sec x 60 kW = 400 kJ
I did not find the capacity of the latest version of the Williams Hybrid Power flywheel battery. However, in http://www.institutequarterly.com/IQ...rticle-04.html I read that
Quote:
WHP is working on flywheels weighing tens of kilograms, with power ratings of around 100-150kW and capable of storing between 0.25kWh and 0.5kWh.
It is important to note that the Porsche system works on the front wheels and hence can recover a lot more kinetic energy than a system that works on the rear axle, such as the Flybrid mechnical flywheel solution or an F1 KERS.

Finally, it is quite straightforward to replace the Williams flywheel battery with a more conventional battery (e.g., lithium ion) because the rest of the system is completely electric.