View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3011144)   #2475
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hi gwyllion, thanks for confirming the motor-generator weight, mine was an approximation at 20Kg, but 45Kg is obviously a very heavy piece of kit!........I'm pretty sure the F1 KERS systems are in the region of 20-30Kg, it was a rough comparison in all honesty.......... but the point still stands, the williams flywheel system is one heavy mo-fo........it will be interesting to see how they all compare, for sure I cant see pug and Toyotas systems being anywhere near as heavy

have just dug our race engine magazine from aug 2010 for the williams -porsche flywheel feature.......they say that a braking event lasted about 2 seconds and this therefore harvests 240KJ with the 2 60KW motors........ the flywheel can rev to 40,000rpm - max......but at the nurburgring 24hr race they ran it between 28K-36K for safety reasons and were able to store 680KJ maximum.......the ACO rules state that only 500KJ can be applied (used) between braking events, so this williams energy storage system may be limited for LMP1 use, as its going to almost completley discharge between braking events........but perhaps thats ok???......who am I to say!!!