Thread: LM24 Race Hearing Protection / Ear Muffs
View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3436705)   #75
brico
Rookie

brico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrap up

Thanks again for everyone who has responded to the thread over the past few months. Since I started the thread with a question I thought I'd provide the results of our decision.

Having attended many ALMS and Formula 1 races in North America, we've always used the small foam ear plugs that you roll between your fingers and place in one's ears. These work well for shorter races (ALMS 'sprint' and F1) but would seem to get annoying for longer events.

As part of our preparation for our first 24h we ordered both the 3M (Worktunes) and Elvex (Quiet Tunes) models suggested by several on this forum. Both fit well but the ear muff on the Quiet Tunes was slightly taller than 3M's. While we preferred the auto tuning of the 3M model we also noted that this model had a tendency to ride up the side of one's head, pinching the bottom on one's ears. While the unit may loosen up over time we were concerned that discomfort would occur in worn for a long period of time (say during a 24 hour sports car race).

We went with the Elvex model and couldn't have been more pleased. We were able to tune into RLM during the race to keep track of things - which would have been difficult other wise since we moved around the track and were not always near a big screen.

One final bit of advice, on both the Elvex and 3M models we found that to best tune the unit we had to flip the orientation of the headset when wearing it. This is most likely the position of the receiver in the unit relative to objects around it. On Sunday while sitting in the grandstands the tuner dial was on my right side and the tuner dial on my wife's headset was on the lift side. Both had a decent signal but just something to keep in mind with whatever unit you decide to go with.

Hope this helps.

Brian