Old 2 Oct 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2302917)   #110
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911
Well, the document showed by Autosprint is official, and it's clear FIA is in alert for P1 performances. So, they have intention to slow down them, for safety reasons. This could play a good point for F1, worried for Le Mans success.
If I find it, I'll send it to you!

In the next years, in LMP1 we'll have a great involvement of car manifacturers: together with Audi and Peugeot, there will be Acura, Toyota, Porsche, Aston Martin. I've heard something about BMW, but nothing's for sure. This is happening because Le Mans is more interesting for car manifacturers that Formula 1. More interesting development perspectives. I hope to see a great show, whit all this brand fighting one each other.

The italian article you have read on the link I've send you, it's not the one that shows FIA involvement in slowing down P1. This article has been published on Autosprint. And it's the one I will send you, as soon as possible, if I will find it.

LMP1 technological fall-out on production car is clear, today! In Formula 1 you've got engines with indirect fuel injection! Like the cars 20 years old! In P1 direct fuel injection is a reality since several years! With P1 engines, you can improve all kind of engines, from V6 to V12, not only V8. In F1 engines are all the same: bore x stroke, distribution, injection system, weight, material, etc...
To use the same Forghieri's word, F1 today is just like the Formula 3, but infinitively more expensive!
Where can you find innovations: where you can experiment new solutions or where you are forced to follow a so restrictive rule?

Concluding, I think endurance is the pinnacle of motorsport because:

- More innovation, less restrictive rules
- More technical variety
- Level and experience of competitors
- Direct technological fall-out on production cars
- Great competitive
- Endurance formula is more near to everyday cars

I don't think you can measure the technological interest of motorsport only basing your suppositions on the success of public. It's not the right way. Formula 1 is more "TV friend" because races are shorter (1h30m). This captures public and adrvertising. That's why great manifacturers are so interested in F1! It's showed in all the world, on the contrary of endurance races. People would not be happy (if not a real passionate) to see a 6 hours race, or 2h45 long race.
Formula 1 format is perfect for television. That's the explanation of all.
And they must thank to mr. Eccleston for his way to manage F1.
Fundamented, clear and intelligent point of view, that i absolutely agree with! The technology in F1 is street irrelevant!