View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2715817)   #96
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Sorry, but this is elementary physics: power = speed (~torque) x speed (~revs). Diesel engines don't rev. So in order to produce the same power as a petrol engine, a diesel engine needs more torque. Just look at production cars:
  • BMW 335d: 210 kW (286 hp), 580 Nm
  • BMW 335i: 225 kW (306 hp), 400 Nm
Even though the diesel engine has slightly less power, it has more torque.

Also the ACO has already the highlights of the 2011 engine rules: petrol 2 liter single turbo vs diesel 3.7 liter twin turbo. So clearly diesels will retain their torque advantage.
335i is a N/A engine, 335d is turbo charged Diesel, if you stic a turbo on that 335i you would get aleast a 30% increase in power and torque,

I know what power is and what torque is, torque by itself is mening less, more torque doesent mean a car will accelerate fasster its more complicated then that, as you put it elimentary physics,

example car 1 diesel 700nm at 2500rpm, and 5000 redline,
car2 gass 500nm at 4250rpm 8500 redline

***numbers quoted above are max torque, for the sake of this exmple it is asumed both cars have te same curve(proportionaly adjused for their revanges)

car 2 will accelrate faster then car1 in every example, because compared to the car 1s gearing car 2 has 850 NM,

so higher NM is only directly comparable if the cars havve the same gearing, and higher reving cars have a better gear ratio, simple bycicle physisce
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.