View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3392833)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i suspect the "reports" on sirotkin's backing comes from the fact that he's backed by smp racing this year - who are funded by one of the gentlemen on the sanctions list. lots of toys being slung around about their wec and elms teams and the potential impact on their participation in the championships at the moment. it'd depend how much involvement they had in securing his sauber position, and how much sauber depend on their contributions (obviously).

here's a link to the smp racing statement on dsc - i kind of think they have a point about non-commercial activities, but on the other hand they are somewhat inextricably linked...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=27367

mod note: if we can keep this within the realms of motorsport rather than politics that would be lovely. thanks
I appreciate the comment above about keeping this to motosports vs. politics. It is somewhat hard as there is an intersection and this is it. However I will avoid direct comments about the politics and validity of the sanctions...

I do appreciate the info above regarding SMP Racing. I follow WEC and had seen some of the comments about impact of sanctions on SMP Racing. What was missing from the SMP Racing press releases/public comments was exactly how SMP Racing is tied to the sanctions. I had assumed it was that funding somehow came from someone involved in the sanctions and that seems to be the case.

I have no ideas who is on the sanctions list. I assume it is a relatively small list of organizations and powerful individuals. The idea is to make life difficult for those on the list. That would include things such as marketing activities and personal enjoyment. Unfortunately I think the issues SMP Racing is having is exactly the type of thing the sanctions are supposed to cause. It is unfortunate that it is on the "sport" side of things, its hard to separate sport from money in racing.

Richard