View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2024, 10:30 (Ref:4206512)   #3117
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I feel the strange thing is how they've been so bad for so long at it to then jump into the social media that attracts probably the youngest audience and also probably the audience least likely to be attracted to the BTCC.

It's a bit like your granny suddenly replacing her 2002 Dell computer with a modern gaming PC.
That's the thing. I'm led to believe that because this isn't say TCR or club racing or karting that if they wanted to mirror the livestream on YouTube/Facebook/Twitter there would have to be solid deals with each platform and ITV (I've been told that's the case with SRO streaming everything from GTWC to Brit GT - it's not just a case of plugging a stream and putting it on a channel) but having a man with good connections, digital nous and passion (Halstead) has opened the TikTok avenue.
Or in other words it's an experiment on the cheap.

At the end of the day all you need to do is hook the same stream up to the other social media platforms to grab other demographics. I can kind of understand not hitting certain platforms because it'll take away (age group wise) from the UK TV broadcast numbers, but a simple YouTube geolock (which is what NASCAR does) to hit a worldwide audience of that age group seems the most obvious path, but what do I know??!! My 14 year old won't watch it on TikTok, he actually said when we were talking about it that if he was interested he'd either come to the races or watch on TV with the family.

I hope that embracing the digital future helps the BTCC grow, I hope it's part of a wider strategy going forward with other platforms, but I fear that beyond say people getting a laugh at Tingram and his media mate, 25-30 minute live videos on the channel (no matter whether or not the algorithm loves them) isn't going to fit.

Just my (middle aged man) opinion!!