View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3440518)   #111
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It's hard to look good in such a bad car. Button does not look good, neither does Magnusseen, neither did Perez. All 3 are good / great drivers, but of course the common denominator is the tub they are sat in.

Why would Alonso want to go to McLaren? His beef with Ferrari is the uncompetitive car - but the Ferrari is still ahead of the McLaren every weekend. Perhaps Ron and Eric will bring back the good times next year...
Is the car really that bad?

It is nothing like as bad as last years car and they ended up with a podium in the first race, two podiums after Ricciardo's DQ.

I have wondered if they have simply taken a wrong turn on development and then I look back at Button's career and ask the same questions that have come up time and again.
He likes the car to be just right, with neutral handling but doesn't get onto it if there are unresolved problems. So are we seeing Jenson trying to get the car to his liking and sending McLaren on a never ending spiral of navel gazing with no improvement.

In the first race of the year Magnussen had his measure. I felt they had a good driver who was really onto it and able to pick up at a level that would lift the team. The car was quick and competitive with everything except the Mercedes.

Since then it seems that Kevin has lost his mojo and at one point Button had said that his inexperience was costing the team development.
I don't take that very well I'm afraid. I think Button should be leading the team and IF Magnussen is not experienced enough to develop the car well then take him under your wing and help him.

But I think the truth is that they have taken a wrong direction and Button isn't able to help them. In fact they may have taken that direction because of his feedback..