Thread: Birranas
View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2003, 01:08 (Ref:637171)   #13
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen.
We have stolen Chris's thread.
Bob Brittan. Bob never put numbers on cars, via carefull notes from conversations with Bob over many years I have a fairly accurate record of what was built, listed below , but definately not THE END.

1st. car was a Lotus 18 style car using components from Noel Halls Cooper . Car called Rennmax Climax.

Then appears to be a total of 7 Lotus 20 style cars, most Formula jnr. but 2 as 1500cc with superchargers.

Then the one and only Brabham BT14 style car . This was Max Stewarts 2nd. Rennmax.

Then there appears to be about 7 cars plus a few spare frames of the BT23 series , eg Max Stewarts Mildren Waggot , which is the tubeframe car as opposed to K.B.'s Mildren Waggot submarine car.
This series is the ones that you bump into in late 60's and 70's in Tasman races in the main.

Apart from these cars ,there are also the MK1 Formula Vees, 7 off from memory , the Mildren Maser. sports car , then the fabulous 2nd. series sports cars 3 off , plus the couple of Lotus 23b frames and customer completed cars such as Lionel Ayers M.R.C.23b.
All not forgetting he probably at one time or another repaired most if not all Brabham and Lotus cars in the country.

I know he still has his records , and I may be able to go through them with him sometime , but he is still more interested in the next car, not as he keeps telling me all those old bloody piles of junk.

Minos./ Birrana . I have left a message on Malcolm Ramsay's phone , so he will call sooner or later.
Minos , I spent some time on the phone to Bobby Muir.
Both Birrana's in U.K. were for Bob , and Dean Hosking was only there as mechanic , and to get a drive if poss.
however Bob said he thought Dean only got 1 race.
One of the 2 cars was stripped and the tub modified and used as the Minos , but all other parts were newly made , a gearbox was purchased from Hesketh etc.
All the parts came back in boxes and on return Malcolm Ramsay slid a new?? tub underneath and it all became one again.
So at this point I need Mal Ramsay to sort it out for me and then I can figure out what chassis became/was what.
Basically 2 cars went out , sort of 2.5 came back , 1x Birrana , 1x Minos and 1x Birrana in boxes.

That is as far as I can get at this point.
You will have to wait for the next exciting installment.

Bryan.