Thread: Birranas
View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2003, 11:19 (Ref:639078)   #21
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen , how do I reply,
A hell of a lot for which you are searching is within a few foot of me as I type,a lot if not all , or nearly all in the following , Racing Car News , Aust. Competion Yearbooks, Aust. Motor Racing Annual which went till 1976 so covers most , I don't have Chequered Flag esp. when Barry Lake [who I see you talk to elsewhere ] was very good in Barry's time, also I have the draft Tasman books that I was working on for the F1R.
Perfectly happy to assist , but so I don't have magazine's etc. all over the place , maybe in chrnological order, you advise starting date.

To answer Brabham BT36- Waggott , whenever John Harvey drove it , it was 2.0 T.C.4.V.
In 1972 , Grice could well have had the 1600cc T.C.4.V. to go against any F.V.A. cars running, esp. as it is the Mildren and not a Rennmax, although the Mildren was actually a Rennmax.

Bob Brittan has up to now not been willing , in a very friendly way , to sort out his cars , I can't even get a definition of a BN2 as opposed to a BN3 .
I went to Graham Howards this morning and we did a swap, I ended up with about a 100 1969/70/71/72/73 Autosports to fill gaps and he got my ALbert Park 1953 Autographed by Stan Jones programme and other prog. I don't reference.
Some of your questions are very hard to answer unless I go back and read at least the whole years magazines , so I can discern what was happening at the time , so that the pieces all 'jell'.

Apart from anything else I have just recieved my B.R.M. book , hell is this a serious bit of work.
You know Doug Nye , suggest to him his next book should be on Jo Marquart , then we can really clear some mysteriesre. GRD , Modus , Huron , Argo AND jO'S continual involement with Jorg Obermoser and the fabulous Toj's.
5% commision for suggestion will be greatly rec'd.

What year do you wish to start on , and I could slowly accumulate info, and then post in one year at a time, but it would take a while as I am desperately trying to finish the BT35 to go race at Willowbank historics at the end of July. This will be the first time when we start the BDE in the next few days when the car fires up that is has had an eng. in it since 1977.That is a quarter of a century.

Re. the BT36 of Harvey , I had been waiting for the inevitable question , probably from Chris of why it is a BT36 but is chassis no BT30-27 , I left it hanging out there but no response.
The car was ordered by Bob Jane Corp. as they were also going to do their own Jane eng. however this fell by the wayside after a considerable lenghth of time and they decided to use a Waggott , but Ron T. must hae laid it down and allocated a ch.no. and also ordered in an FT200 , but it looks like the del. date kept on being deffered untill it finally left the works on 23-3-71 well into BT36 production and it was very definately a BT36 , strangly it left the factory the day before my BT35-8 went to Ed. Reeves.
I have in front of me on Motor Racing Developments letterhead a letter signed by George Thornton confirming del. date , my guess is that Ron T. had the 30 frame etc. and as every thing was drawn out , needed the 30 for a rebuild or to replace a customers wreck and sold it and then when Bob Jane Corp told them to send they gave them a 36 , but had already allocated the 30-27 number.
The gearbox no. is way out of sinc. with say mine which is 599 and still in car today.
For Chris's records BT36-6 went to A.C/A [ Reuteman] with FVA.0182 and gearbox FT200-678 on 8/7/71.
Regards Bryan.
Advise where you wish to start.