View Single Post
Old 8 May 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3071197)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
That's a thought- as you say, most of the UK-based 240s (and a few of the European ones) seem to have had Northern Ireland, or occasionally Isle of Man, registrations. There were only a handful with 'mainland' plates as I remember- I noticed Terry Kaby in PVV646Y in one of those RallyRetro pics:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...rRally1985.jpg

I suspect there was presumably some kind of tax or Type Approval reason for them not being registered on the mainland? (In a similar vein, didn't a lot of the David Sutton Audi UK Quattros have IoM plates?)
I'm not sure that there would have been any tax or type approval reasons for registering them in N.I., it's possible they were landed there by a prep company such as Sydney Meeke or Kenny McKinstry... quite a few of the Manta and Ascona 400s were N.I. registered by Meeke's I think.