View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3393806)   #1781
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to hear from you again!

Negative things here, BUT remember this is all of £65 delivered.

Parts are very light and they had to be weighted by taping socket sets to the horizontal bar
The laser starts out pinpoint across the car for first wheel set-up, but increases in 'diameter' to about a fuzzy edged 3mm dia. The increments on the laser head giving toe in/out are about 3mm apart for each 10' of angle, thus, if you want 5' you have to estimate the centre of the laser 'dot'.

I could set-up for 10' and 15' quite easily once my 'eye' had adjusted to the 'dot'. The second pic above shows 15' of angle on the laser head scale.

First set-up attempt showed you need to be quite careful or you loose the laser dot across the garage!
I placed a white panel (polystyrene) behind the head and the mirror so I could see where the laser was.

Above all I think this is a good bit of kit, I got to where I wanted to be on my car, 15' toe-in and to my engineer's eye the wheels look 'right'.

I did the lot in a dark garage to improve resolution of the laser 'dot' but brighter conditions just might improve the dot's definition by removing the fuzzy light and allowing the core intense laser to literally shine through.

Before I bought this I considered using fishing lines to string the car but I feel there are too many errors that can creep in (because of me) and the next alternative are the classic Dunlop optical gauges, £550 new, £250 second hand/bent/nicked and space hungry in a small garage like mine.

Clubbie hillclimb this sunday, so we shall see!

If no good it will go to McClurg's for a real tweek.

Hope this helps you.