View Single Post
Old 12 May 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3405484)   #1793
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oddest feeling that there is nothing to do to the Lola except clean it and put it on axle stands.
I can remember when this was ever the case...

I have found that one wheel was not sitting down on the hub face by about 0.5mm but was bolted down (centre locks) onto the top/sharp end of the 6 drive pins.

Having drilled the wheel hub pin holes about 2mm deeper, all is well with no play.

There was a small clunking noise from one side which i thought was the disc gripping the pads and the pads knocking in the caliper.
Took the pads out on the offending side and the knocking noise was still there. Came down to the depth of the holes in the wheels.

There IS always something on a race car.

Thus the Lola and the 911 are clean and under dust covers as we don't race again now until Shelsley Walsh again on the 31st May.

Looking at last weekend's results I feel a bit ashamed at my times against other cars.
I was matched by a Porsche GT3 on road tyres and a TVR.
A lot were in my second bracket or + 1 second, ie a 33 sec ish time.

Really do have to try harder.

Oddly, there still the mouding marks on the front tyres despite 4 meetings on them. Obviously still a lot of grip to take advantage of.

Pause for thought.

Sean at McClurge Motorsport has offered a solution which I've translated to basic terms.

Take a taller gear earlier and drive through faster.

Now, this does have technical merrit too but assumes I've the courage to do it.