View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3413824)   #1796
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My whatsits got a bit bigger today and managed a small improvement on my last pb at Shelsley with a 32.64 (old pb was 32.73).
Interesting day again, the car is superb, there is nothing wrong with it.

It continues to impress people in it's new blue and Martini livery and looks a honey on its narrow wheels, so that part of my ego is fixed.

First competitive run this morning was with the track much the same as yesterday late afternoon and the car ran 33.4.
I was following Sean's suggestion of taking a taller gear and using the big lungs of this engine to pull the car through.
The car is far more relaxing to drive this way (thanks Sean!) by miles, an absolute delight.

Second run I needed a 32 or better but the heat was greater, and i don't light sweltering, but off we went.

Gave it the beans off the start in first and a 64 foot time of 2.08, nearly 1g of acceleration. Nice.

Off to the first kink and instead of hanging on to 2nd @ 6K rpm, took 3rd (box was a gem) and steered the car..

Next up is the bend I hate the most, Kennel, which spooks me but now really hard in 3rd and through the car sliced, absolutely on rails (thanks Sean)
Then up the steep 'straight' screaming the b@lls off the engine at 6.5K and should have taken 4th which i tried last run yesterday to little advantage, so stayed there (sorry Sean)
However with my mind not quite with the car and the rapidly looming bottom Esse i briefly braked, still in third which it took really well and I forgot to change to 2nd...

Came out of top Esse in 3rd with the engine reaching deep at 4k rpm and off it went to the finishing straight, FAB!

To 6K, took 4th with a dream change and pedal to the metal!

Bloody great

I LOVE this car (now)

2 people want to buy it, but it would be sad to see it go now it looks great, goes well, and it a joy.

However....

I cannot get the front tyres hot.
Infact, the moulding flash from the tyre being moulded is STILL on the face of the two fronts after 5 meetings.

I wonder if the toe needs tweeking?

Anyway, Loton next week, my favourite hill (www.HDLCC.com), will be interesting.