View Single Post
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2895142)   #19
the real Stig
Rookie

the real Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Hard View Post
You'll find the Deltawing does have front steering. I remember reading an article about how they had to be clever with the geometry to get enough lock (remember this was originally ment to be an indycar, for both oval and road course). Indeed, look at the video http://deltawingracing.com/2010/02/simulation-videos-2/
originally delta wing only had 3 wheels the from being a single non-steering fat tire, this was then changed to twin front tires to gain more credibility. It's was originally designed as rear steering which is one of the reasons why one of the engine designers in the league distanced it's self from the project. (I'm very close to Indy car racing & lemans design and this is what I know).

So may be to gain more credibility they've switched to front steer, only I'm guessing if they have they've not figured out how to do it yet. The under model has no cut outs for steering movement and even if it did I can't imagine how you package a pair of wishbones, springs, dampers and a rack is such a narrow package. I can't see the packaging it especially considering the lock required to negotiate chicanes and Arnarge.

The closest thing to delta wing I can think of is the Honda F1 land speed car.
Really light, no wings but big power.

I'm thinking this project is like Delorian, tax payers beware. (government funding for green energy research)