Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff, guys! A few notes and questions on the stuff covered so far:
  • A few car numbers need updating:
    #3 - Mike Newman
    #4 - Graham Goode
    #17 - Mike O'Brien
    #18 - Robin Donovan (O'Brien/Donovan used this car in the Donington 1hr race)
    #31 - John Clark
    #44 - John Llewellyn
  • I was under the impression that Bristow's 1988 car was sold and a new car used for 1989. I think I asked the question in the '88 thread with the response that it was sold to Asia. Doesn't 10-Tenths member Martinlabatts own the 89-90 Bristow car, now?
  • Graham Goode's retirement from Round 1 at Oulton Park should be listed as accident damage. Goode was exiting Old Hall on lap 1 when the Labatt's Sierra in front of him suddenly slowed. Goode slowed, but Mike Smith behind him didn't, hitting the right rear of the Listerine Sierra hard. Goode maintained control of the black Sierra, but slowed and retired with damaged suspension.
  • John Clark's retirement from Round 2 was an accident, but I suspect he had help. Clark crashed into the wall on the inside of the Hangar straight on the approach to Stowe. The skidmarks start on the inside of the track near the braking area, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was punted off by someone. It certainly would explain his angry exit from the car, as shown on the review video!
  • It's a small distinction, but Kimber-Smith had already been passed by Crudgington and Dowsett before he retired from Round 2. They comfortably outdragged him down the Hangar Straight on lap 1, probably an indicator of the engine problem that would cause his retirement.
  • Why were Hodgetts/Leslie and Goode/Lyall non-starters for Round 4 at Donington? I assume both cars had mechanical problems during practice/qualifying. Why didn't Leslie start when Nick May had started the race single-handed the year before? To save money when there was no chance of a result? And how was the Listerine car considered too slow when it was not the slowest qualifier overall? Did the RAC enforce an 'outside X% of fastest in class' regulation? Was there no mechanism in the regulations that would allow Goode's car to start, considering the car's usual performance? I know these questions are probably not covered in the race reports, but I'm just curious in how the British approach compared to the Australian approach of the time.
  • Mike Smith/Mike Wilds' retirement at Donington was caused by a mechanical failure that caused to car to spin off. The on-board camera in the car behind showed the car suddenly trail sparks immediately before Wilds spun off at McLeans. Specifically what failed wasn't mentioned in the review video, but it looks like something failed in the right rear suspension.
  • I don't believe there was any substance to the rumour that Mahony was buying a DJR Sierra. DJR didn't have any cars to spare at that point, and wouldn't until DJR5 was completed in time for the Sandown 500 in September. Also, there was no mention of Mahony's rumoured purchase in the Australian magazines of the time.