View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3229204)   #146
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
A question: if DTM cars are spec, why are they so expensive in contrast with a GT3>
GT3 cars have been getting up there in price also. A Ferrari, McLaren or Mercedes would not be a cheap purchase.

The limited production runs of the chassis and other parts wouldn't help though.

Do DTM teams but the cars thought? Do they lease them from the manufacturers? What exactly is the business model? To me, I just don't see a viable one in North America.

After reading the interview, I see that Grand-Am don't have the answers either. They're being public with the process but also making the case that this will only come together if manufacturers all step up and get involved and agree to it.

The other interesting thing is the parallel he drew with NASCAR. This is quite close to the NASCAR model in many ways, and so may be a better fit with NASCAR's expertise and abilities than the traditional sports cars of Grand-Am/USCR. And it is true, the DTM model fits better with the personality and rivalry driven story telling of touring car racing than the more layered, multi-class world of sports cars. But the cars are still lousy unless someone gets them to see reason with their aerodynamics.

Last edited by juicy sushi; 4 Apr 2013 at 17:09.