View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2927823)   #374
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
As I said in the WEC rumors thread, expect the words "satellite team" to be bandied about a lot if this does happen.

And I'll provide the same example: Abt will be to Joest and Audi Sport what Tony Stewart and Stewart-Haas Racing is to Rick Hendrick/Hendrick Motorsports and GM in NASCAR.

SHR is it's own unique business entity and team, but buys cars and engines from HMS, and gets support from HMS and GM.

I think that we can suppose that Abt my recieve similar treatment as far as a synergy with Audi and Joest. And also it has been suggested that since BMW has come back to DTM, Audi and Mercedes-Benz might field fewer cars as BMW will provide teams to make a full field.

I don't know what to make of that, but if Abt is a Joest satellite, they probably won't have trouble running 2 cars (Joest has more than enough people to run 3 cars as LM the last several years has demonstrated) except for Le Mans, but Joest hasn't had much trouble recruting ex-Champion Racing employees who are willing to spend a good chunk of the year in Europe as well as people from other Audi affillated teams.

So I don't think that personel will be a big problem for Abt if they do indeed run such a program, which remains to be seen if it's fact or a simple rumor that someone started.
Your comparison dosen't make any sense. SHR just receives engines from HMS, that's all... they´re their own operation, they have their own staff etc.

This is where Abt is limited, unless they majorly boost their team by hiring lots of new people there's no way they can put a WEC programme atop of running the DTM and the GT Masters.

Joest only did the DTM in 2004 when they weren't doing sports cars, BMW has decided to pull out of the ILMC because of the DTM... they aren't even trying to run anything on the side.

The competition in the DTM is extremely close and I highly doubt that Audi will distract their strongest DTM team with such a second effort...especially since 2012 will be year where everybody will be starting somewhat fresh in the DTM and no one can afford to fall behind.

It has already been confirmed that all three manufacturers will be fielding six cars each and you can bet on Abt being one of the team's for Audi since they have been their best bullet in the DTM over the years.

I´m not saying the customer R18s won't be happening but certainly not with Abt as long as the DTM goes on...and certainly not next year which will be DTM's most important season for years.