View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3136979)   #2531
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Say something mildly controversial and you are berated on here by some. So you can see why they (or their sponsors) aren't keen.

I fear we are partly to blame. Although that can't be right as we must always look for blame elsewhere first, which is another disagreeable modern trait.
It's not us. Us crying or not crying about Hamilton getting up to tricks doesn't even appear on any decision-makers radar.

There are some 'straight' sponsors who don't like any controversy but alot of sponsors like stand-out types that are mavericks and have a highly publicised off track social-life as long as it doesn't descend into depravity or criminality that puts your brand into disrepute. This, to tap the youth market.

The problem with being a 'character' and a maverick' and other off-track antics is that it usually hurts on track performance and upsets the focus required to sustain a championship campaign.

There's your tension. Team management want performance, the marketeers want a celebrity. The two can get in the way particularly as we are so media conscious as a society.