Old 28 Sep 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2962274)   #13
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Thanks all for your comments.

It's a debate that is had every year - how much do we give away? I think it would go some way to stopping many of the conspiracy theories, but I know one of the reasons that lots of detail isn't made available is because we want it to be positive for all the finalists and, if someone doesn't do well or has an off day, it might hurt their careers. That's not what we want!

I wasn't a judge in 2007 (Wilson), though I was there on one day, but I was in 2009 (Smith). It was a good close contchosen for this awardest that year and I am still comfortable with the call we made.
Thanks Kevin, what you say is of course right but the drivers of this calibre are already in the spot light. What ever they do will be published, good and bad and anybody of significance will appreciate good days and bad days. Constructive criticism whether for good or bad results will give strength to a driver. In the case or the award, it is a very public affair but all too secretive about the nature of how the winner is selected. I actually think its far more damaging to a young drivers career when they are clearly the best and proven junior driver yet with no constructive written evidence to suggest why they did not win the award. There should be nothing to hide, fitness levels are easy to write as are lap times and comments for any of the cars driven and for media interviews, a mark out of ten would be sufficient. Conspiricy theories only come from what we dont know, I have been present at the awards evening a few times now and its great to see our best British prospect get the award, Simms, Williamson just brilliant and their race results support this. Wilson and Smith, in their years, the best driver by a country mile did not win, again the race results thereafter support this. How you can be comfortable with the choice you made baffles me and many others but you must be right and have the information to support it. As much as I appreciate the great work and effort you put into the award, just publish the results and it will give the whole process the credibility it deserves and shut up people like me.