View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2928770)   #296
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserGT View Post
"the TRS, was dumped out of Tier 1 by MNZ/TMC"

With the current economic climate in New Zealand and the reduced number of competitors that are coming through the junior classes TRS has to look at who their "customers" are.

Toyota committed to Motorsport New Zealand for 10 years. They have run 7 of those 10 years already.

Toyota NZ and Toyota Racing Management did a great job attracting overseas competitors for the last season.

For this season TRS is running 5 rounds over 5 weekends in a row to attract more overseas competitors. Because of this there are two rounds which are not part of the "Tier 1" series. This is what TRS negotiated with TMC in the interests of Toyota being able to supply their customers what they wanted. TRS was not dumped by MNZ/TMC.

TRS are still at three rounds of the Tier 1 Summer Series, including the NZGP and Manfeild in February.
Don't get me wrong here, I love the TRS, it's been the best thing to happen to NZ motorsport for a long time, and I am pleased to hear that the NZGP will be included in a Tier 1 event this season. But that hasn't been the case for the last couple of seasons, has it, much to my dismay.

I think these days (especially over here in NZ) it's really hard to get enough money to fnd a drive in one of these events, but that doesn't really explain why the club grids are so very well filled (example: BMW E30 has to be run in 2 separate races due to numbers!)