View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1583367)   #327
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never said that the top guys from WSBR would struggle in GP2, I just said I dont think they would do much more than get a few points finishes. The top 8 or so drivers IMO are signifcantly better than Kerr, McIntosh and Toccacelo. How many times did Kerr and McIntosh beat Premat or Lappiere in A1 last season, or Piquet for that matter? I feel that the main reason GB got 3rd place in the A1 championship was due to Piquet leaving the team in place of Fitipaldi rather than Kerr's driving abilty.

Yes you can argue that Premat and Lappiere were with Dams in A1 and had a slight advantage due to the team having several franchises but how much of a differnce that really made is anybodys guess. Brazil though were not with the Dams squad and they didnt have any such advantage. Neel Jani was also quite a bit faster than Kerr in A1 several times throughout the course of the season and had he stayed in the series until the end would we have made the top 4 in the championship?

Unless there was some sort of freak accident during the course of a race I cant see a driver from this years WSBR winning a GP2 race, unless they were perhaps with a top team like Arden or Art. Dont misunderstand me, I like WSBR and I think the racing is very good, I just feel that most of the drivers, if not all arent 100% ready for a sucessful year in GP2. Hence they are in WSBR. All of this is just my opinion.