Thread: 2012 season
View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2011, 07:23 (Ref:2965971)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding Simon's original point, historic racing has always been the province of the wealthy, of the type who will always have serious money. And it's getting more that way. So the big festivals won't suffer, except with a reduction in spectators possibly.

As far as the clubman is concerned, the recession hit motor sport about 12 months ago. Until that time we were roaring away but in October sales just stopped. Motor racing is always a discretionary spend, changing perfectly serviceable clothing on a whim even more so - especially if you are cutting down on the events you do. Picked up again in the summer, I suppose we are all feeling a bit more comfortable and know where we are going financially.

We are expecting a boost with the change to hill climb clothing rules in 2012, but 2013 will be pretty dire with most drivers having bought expensive clothing within the last two to three years and it should last at least five! I'm hoping the MSA's Go Motorsport campaigns will increase newcomers to the sport, but TBQH the clothing rules are a barrier to start with. I kitted out a chap the other day who was running a steam car in one hill climb at Prescott, and it cost him £530 just to get legal! How someone with a young family is going to be able to run to that is difficult to imagine.

You only have to look at grids to see that certain series really have to pull their socks up and offer value for money. I suspect those with fewer rounds but more seat time at each one will gather strength. If what I've seen at Castle Combe is anything to go by, 2012 will be difficult in the extreme. While the home series have kept numbers up, there have been some very lacklustre grids from visiting races.

As ever, the best will survive and those who get complacent will fall by the wayside. I always look on a recession as difficult but an opportunity to shine.