Thread: Tech Issue The Sound Of The V6 Turbo PU..
View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:14 (Ref:3382878)   #62
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I think most people, including me, realize this. But at least for me my interest in motorsport is above all emotional and not rational, hence difficulties to accept changes that diminishes the experience.

Not talking about sound or even F1 in particular here but racing in general. Engine regs, going to tracks where there's money but no heritage, double points, the spec series epidemic.. A lot of it (not all) makes logical sense but does noting for me as a fan except making it less interesting.
I totally agree with your point about it being important in terms of raising emotions. I attended a few of the V10 era races as well as the V8's and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end when I heard them fire up from the other side of the circuit.

There is/was something in my brain that made me think of these cars as beasts and the driver was brave driving such a car (until I heard Kimi on the radio sounding like he's half asleep and barely interested). I still think they are very brave though no doubt the illogical side of my brain associated the volume with the level of bravity.

I'm yet to hear the new engines so I may end up preferring the volume and sound. I think they will need to sound quite unique and somehow give the impression of leading edge technology for me to prefer the new breed.

I'm not that tech savy though acknowledge that these engines are far more advanced than the previous V8 though is that enough to evoke emotion. Are my emotions raised when thinking about the technology in the latest smart phone? Are my emotions raised when I see an almost silent bullet train doing over 400km/h? Unfortunately not, though we are all different so maybe the new cars will attract some additional watchers (possibly those who line up for days at the local Apple store for the next iphone).

If the new cars produce great racing and continue to produce lap times that exceed that of any other racing series then I think that will be a good thing.