View Single Post
Old 15 Dec 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3344264)   #87
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Long time, no post.

I suppose everyone is still fuming that someone arrogant, reckless and with better-than-average speed with stacks of cash has been chosen over a nice, quiet driver who has more outright pace than almost the entire of the motorsports community...
I don't understand why anybody should be fuming at this. F1 is not a meritocracy and is moving further away from, not closer to, that ideal. Blame the teams as they're the ones that have chosen this business model. With the inexorable decline in viewing figures and the relentless increases operating costs, we're heading for a situation where the entire grid will be composed of pay drivers - like Maldonado. We're just going to have to get used to that... or join the hoards that are abandoning F1 and switch off.

Given the global decline in interest in single seater racing and the growing interest in supercar based 'stuff' i.e. gaming, Top Gear, Fast/Furious movies etc... I'm just wondering whether some form of GT-centric series based around these cars would be a better platform for us to see the world's best drivers slug it out each weekend. It would be far cheaper, drivers could share cars, customer teams could vie works teams etc..., there would be a secondary market for road cars etc...

... just a thought.