View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3397934)   #542
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Sure there is and always be exhaust pressure left, but the question is how much?
Plenty.. an enormity...

Quote:
And very nice video of Audi telemetry, where you can clearly see that most of the time the engine is run between 4.000 and 4.500 rpm, over that line power is probably slowly dropping, this fenomenom can be seen in every diesel car, and there is not much you can do about it. I doubt torque is increasing over 4.000 rpm in that diesel engine
Watch it again... that engine pushes very well in 5th gear until 4600 RPM ( could be more, but then comes 6th)... and a V6, even 120ยบ is not a complete balanced engine even in an even firing config. Most likely it has a very competent crankshaft counter weighting to avoid having a balancing shaft(which introduces drag for the smoothing action).

A V8 could be much better... a V12 the best ( complete balanced, usually don't need weights on crankshaft).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Yes, it's only maths afterall.
The figure of the audi motor is this:
915 Nm @ 4,000 rpm
over 900Nm at 4000rpm where the final power is reached and over 1000Nm of torque peak somewhere between 2000 and 3000rpm. This only from the diesel engine. The combined torque peak surely is over 1500Nm.

The new toyota engine should rev less than the old 3.4L. If we suppose that the 3.4 was revving to 9000rpm and the new 3.7 revs at 8500rpm, are required around 450Nm to develope around 540hp @8500rpm. Being an highrev NA engine the torque peak should be after 7000rpm, more than 450Nm of course but maybe less than 500Nm in my opinion. The combined torque of the TS040 surely is over 1000Nm too.
Sounds like Power and Torque charts for the Audi... can you share some ?

Sure the Toyota engine revs lower but could have more overall power, specially at lower regimes. The problem of power with augmenting RPM but then diminishing torque, is that each and any combustion event needs time to complete, the higher the RPM the less time it has, highly rotative engines with very low torque figures are a very wasteful illusion on the hp figures, the lower torque figures means less propensity to push by higher loads, that is, the more the load the engine has to push the less the capacity to reach higher RPM, reason why a F1 engine only has 600 to 700 hp, but on a moto 4, put it on a real 1 ton car and it would struggle badly.

I suspect Toyota decided for a torque approach (stroking -> augment the crank rocker arms distances a little further away from crankshaft center, larger circumference the rotating cranck does)... and decided very well, i think it could be below the 8500 RPM, but OTOH over 500 Nm is not far fetched.