View Single Post
Old 25 Aug 2003, 18:36 (Ref:698522)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
The main problem is that respect must be kept always between posters: sometimes it seems like somebody attack driver X, not just to bash him, but because he knows that poster Y is a fan of him: somewhat like a cross-revenge against poster Y.
Is this just an impression of mine, or does someone have similar opinion?
Yes, and it's called trolling or flame baiting, and we do have them here. They aren't interested in having a clean discussion, but they only post in order to trigger a response. The other thing they have in common is that they sooner or later get banned from this site.

These days, when I'm no longer a moderator, I don't read the flame baiter's posts. Frankly I have better things to do with my time.

---

Excellent posts by Wrex and Adam. This is a discussion forum, people, not a flaming or bashing forum. If you discuss in a fair manner, it is possible to disagree with someone and still retain a friendly tone with them.

A prime example of that is someone who has posted above, namely Ralf's Girl. She's a Ralf fan and I'm a Montoya fan, now there you have the ingredients for a hateful relationship not, because she is always very fair in her comments, she has never bashed Montoya for no good reason or to stir up a response, nor has she re-arranged the facts to make Ralf look good, nor belittled anyone else's opinion. Needless to say, she has earned my deepest respect. Naturally she sees things from a completely different perspective to me, but that's what makes a discussion forum interesting - if I didn't see it that way, I would have been at a fan site, but that would have been a far too narrow scope for me. The main reason for being at 10 Tenths, for me, is the opportunity you get to see things from different perspectives, maybe see things from an angle you would never have thought of yourself. If anything, this should make us more tolerant, more open minded, not the opposite.

I mentioned Ralf's Girl, but there are other examples of people who I often disagree with, but have the greatest respect for: Wrex, Red, Inigo Montoya, Gt_R, corkholio and there are others. I could have mentioned many more. The lesson to be learned is that to earn anyone's respect, it does not matter what your opinion is - it is the way you present it, and the level of respect you show others, that matters. Also it doesn't hurt to re-read your post before you press that submit button, and if you've written something in the heat of the moment, have a second think and ask yourself: "Do I really want to say that?" Everything you write is out there, and is read by many people who you know, and also by many people who you don't know. I know for a fact that we have many readers who never post (because some of them have told me). It's worth thinking a little of the impression you give others of yourself, and indeed of 10 Tenths as a community.