Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Feb 2004, 20:54 (Ref:867400)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's roll bar time...

Some of my friends at the local car club suggested I try Solo 1 this year,using the Mustang. Because of the mods I've done,I have to put a roll bar in ,as well as a 4 point harness.I wonder what my insurance company will say if they see that ?? Can I tell 'em I'm just paranoid about safety ?? They also don't know about the supercharger (it's just a noisy brake cylinder ?? ) Anyone had problems with their insurance company with mods done to their car ??

Last edited by fast95pony; 8 Feb 2004 at 20:55.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 21:48 (Ref:867467)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The worst thing to do is not tell them about the mods because in the event of an accident if an undeclared mod is found by their assessor they may not pay out.
It seems ironic but they will probably put up your premium if you put in a cage to make it safer..
Old 8 Feb 2004, 22:46 (Ref:867522)   #3
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know in the US, that you don't wanna make a comment about being "serious about safety" in regards to the 4points because they aren't legal for road use even though they are safer they aren't DOT apporved so using them is considered driving without a seatbelt
Old 8 Feb 2004, 23:44 (Ref:867578)   #4
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
I just bought two harnesses .They are 5 point .I won't be using them while driving on the road. But it is ironic . The auto makers are always going on about how safe their cars are ,yet put in a roll cage and a harness and your insurance goes up !!
Old 9 Feb 2004, 04:28 (Ref:867767)   #5
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, because when they see the rollcage they know you are using it for on-track events...

Actually, would they even pay-out if it was damaged on-track? Or do you have to pretend it was done on the road outside the track?
Old 9 Feb 2004, 04:42 (Ref:867774)   #6
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
If something happened at the track ,it wouldn't be covered,and I accept that. Insurance is a touchy subject.If they found out I occasionally run at the track,they would drop me.So 99 % of drivers don't tell their insurance companies. When it comes to ANY track event ,or any modifications to your car, the insurance companies here will probably drop you. They are a neccessary evil , however. And they can charge whatever they like .

Last edited by fast95pony; 9 Feb 2004 at 04:43.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 08:03 (Ref:871555)   #7
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know of at least two cars that were stuffed at a track and yet managed to fall off in a ditch a few miles later. My lips are sealed however and no they weren't mine.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 10:30 (Ref:871652)   #8
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I know of a cossie built up to full GpA spec that fell off the road in Kielder, was put on a trailer fully converted back into a standard car and then dumped in a ditch in North Wales
Old 12 Feb 2004, 15:29 (Ref:872080)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
imull, when you say you "know of", you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the details...

Know what I'm sayin'?
Old 15 Feb 2004, 17:26 (Ref:874942)   #10
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If an insurance company can get off on any technicality they will. If you kill or injure someone you will then lose your house and every penny and posession you own - except the clothes you stand up in on the day of the hearing.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 20:46 (Ref:875051)   #11
imull
Veteran

wish it was my car. It was a car my housemate serviced on and I have seen the pictures.

forgot to say that it was also reported stolen and the insurance paid up
Old 16 Feb 2004, 00:25 (Ref:875225)   #12
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guy I know was refused registration, because his car didn't have retracting seatbelts. Did have a Sabelt 5-point though, but apparently theyre not as safe as a retracting belt. in that car, though, the belts were the least worrisome modification. You should've seen under the bonnet...

All the same, that was a track car as well. I think i read somewhere that there isn't an insurance firm on the planet (least not in Germany) that'll insure a car on the Nordschliefe... too Many 'traffic accidents' at nearby nurburg, I guess
Old 23 Feb 2004, 21:29 (Ref:883275)   #13
imull
Veteran

I was just reading a Safety Devices leaflet i got with my championship registration.

It has a picture of a harness with the usual push button type release (like on a normal seatbelt) with a caption saying street leagal. Does that mean that the aircraft (twist buckle) release is not as there is no mention of legality on it?

I am UK based btw.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 09:33 (Ref:883731)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by imull
I was just reading a Safety Devices leaflet i got with my championship registration.

It has a picture of a harness with the usual push button type release (like on a normal seatbelt) with a caption saying street leagal. Does that mean that the aircraft (twist buckle) release is not as there is no mention of legality on it?

I am UK based btw.
I guess the twist buckle must be legal as it's used in competition cars that drive on public roads and therefore has to be capable of meeting MOT requirements.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:46 (Ref:883785)   #15
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what, like wrc cars?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:53 (Ref:883793)   #16
imull
Veteran

thats what I figured Bert. cheers
Old 27 Feb 2004, 01:32 (Ref:886906)   #17
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
I decided not to enter Solo 1 this year. I can't most of the events because on work. I'm going to consentrate on Solo 2 in the stock class again in the Focus. Maybe next year...