Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Aug 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1378552)   #1
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When does a Car become a different car ?

There have been a lot of posts talking about history of race cars...
What defines a car.

Is it the complete item?
Is it the chassis only?
It is the build number only?

Cars get new mechanicals, updated bodies, major repairs etc...

It is like Grandpa's axe, it has had 5 new handles and 2 new heads, but it is still the same old axe...

DKGandBH
Old 10 Aug 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1378646)   #2
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
There have been a lot of posts talking about history of race cars...
What defines a car.

Is it the complete item?
Is it the chassis only?
It is the build number only?

Cars get new mechanicals, updated bodies, major repairs etc...

It is like Grandpa's axe, it has had 5 new handles and 2 new heads, but it is still the same old axe...

DKGandBH
It depende on how it's handled at the time... good example is Dick Johnson's XD(s). I believe that post-rock 1980, the car was reshelled but retained the original log book (not sure if it used the same log book, but I'm pretty sure I heard that John Donnelly took the shell without log books and built it up, obtaining a fresh logbook, ie it is now considered a seperate and different car).

If you want to talk about Grandpa's Axe, let's talk Peter Williamson's unlucky Suprra... there's a fair bit of history on it in another thread here somewhere....
Old 12 Aug 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1380425)   #3
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Willo's Supra

I would not believe everything in the texts about my Supra - they have it variously having been a completely new car after the 84 Bathurst prang, having been sent back to Japan to be rebuilt by TRD etc, none of which is true. The car was rebodied after the 86 Bathurst crash, and the car still retains that body. Having said that, all the equipment in the car apart from the seat and harness etc is either from the earlier car or spares from it. The GEMS computer EPROM is dated 1985, as is the fuel cell etc.

I guess from my perspective, it is still the same car - it was put together by the same people, with existing spare parts or salvaged ones, continued to be raced by the same driver and only ever had one logbook, which notes the reshell and new chassis number. Peter raced it through the 87 season after he recovered, the car then went to NZ before coming back here in 89. I think that makes it quite different from a car that was perhaps reshelled later after being written off in a sports sedan race or similar with no annotation on the logbook. At least the car raced in the Group A era with the existing bodyshell and mechanicals, so there is no doubt about its eligibility. In fact, the only things I can find on the car that are not from that 1987 period are the steering wheel and the radiator, as the car has unfortunately lost its custom aluminium one somewhere (I understand it was a prang in the pits at Oran Park in 1989). Even the seat and harness are still the 1987 ones, and all the 'cheating' parts, like the fibreglass bumper supports etc are still on the car (woops, shouldn't have said that!).

I would suggest that anything built up from spares to match a logbook, something that was reshelled after the period or anything that didn't race during the period with its existing bodyshell crosses the line a bit, although I am aware there are a few Group C cars (without C of Ds I hasten to add) that match that description. A good example is my Gemini - it was built by Terry Finnigan in 1980 out of the remains of the Seldon/Leggat 1979 Bathurst class winner, which in itself was John Harvey's old Gemini series car. However, as it was rebodied almost immediately after he bought it after a practice crash, and transformed into a later PF50 and given a new logbook, I don't know whether I can claim it is both the 1980 and 1979 Class D winner, even though the mechanicals, roll cage etc went all the way back to John Harvey's time. At present the C of D only notes it as being the 1980 winner, and having started 'life' in 1980.

At the end of the day, I guess it is CAMS who decides what a car is when they either do or don't give it a C of D.

Hopefully the cars hoodoo is gone now, I certainly don't want to emulate Peter when the car is ready to race next year!

Regards, John