Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 May 2024, 12:51 (Ref:4209279)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Motor Racing Legends

As per the anouncement on 02 May, Aythorpe Promotions, a company led by Shaun Lynn, has taken over Motor Racing Legends.

Yesterday, I received the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL
Motor Racing Legends Introduces Exciting New GT3 Category
to Historic Racing Series

Motor Racing Legends, the highly respected organisation behind some of the most well-regarded motor sport events, in collaboration with Jarrah Venables, is thrilled to announce the expansion of its prestigious series with the introduction of a new grid: GT3 Legends...............................

Eligible cars will include 2006-2012 homologated GT3 cars, with vehicles allowed to run up to 2015 specification, and the grid will comprise of three classes, relating to the age of the vehicle, which will allow for competitive racing for both early and late models.
Any thoughts?
Old 17 May 2024, 15:42 (Ref:4209304)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No particular interest in that. Nothing to do with historic racing.
Old 17 May 2024, 19:49 (Ref:4209327)   #3
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
As per the anouncement on 02 May, Aythorpe Promotions, a company led by Shaun Lynn, has taken over Motor Racing Legends.

Yesterday, I received the following:

Any thoughts?
Not surprising to see the Lynn and Venables collaboration given Shaun's son Max now works for the latters company.

I imagine it'll be a UK based series, for me like most new historic race series this just adds yet more congestion with GT Cup, Masters GT Trophy and Legends grid, CSCC Slicks Series all catering for these cars

They should focus on getting the MRL grids currently to better health tho hopefully its a success still.
Old 17 May 2024, 20:37 (Ref:4209332)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2006 was 18 years ago...
Old 18 May 2024, 06:57 (Ref:4209362)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems like only yesterday. But it is a good point, should add, the first race is scheduled for the 19-20 October Silverstone event.

I must admit to liking these cars, the more recent incarnations have become too "supercar" for my taste hence I find British GT to be a bit tedious. But the Aston Martins, Porsches and Corvettes of the early noughties were much more pleasing to my eyes.
Old 18 May 2024, 08:43 (Ref:4209364)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just to add, in 1976 I watched the HSCC running Lotus' 23s, Lister Knobblies etc. They were less than 20 years old at the time.

https://mallettracing.com/2024/05/18...ew-mrl-series/
Old 18 May 2024, 10:38 (Ref:4209375)   #7
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
There is a grave danger that historic racing is now becoming a playground for rich, often elderly enthusiasts to drive cars that they lack the skill to drive fast.
WE used to complain about Judy Lyons but I suspect she would be competitive amongst some of the current back markers.
It does not make for good spectating as the fields get so spread out quickly with decent drivers in older/slower cars taking ten seconds a lap out of the "gentlemen" drivers in potentially faster cars.
Hoe some of these guys passed their ARDS test I do not know.
Old 18 May 2024, 23:42 (Ref:4209452)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
2006 was 18 years ago...
yes but '2015 specification' is only 9 years ago.