Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2476500)   #1
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lotus rumours

I heard on the Beeb's coverage today that Lotus were rumoured to be coming back to F1. Can anyone put any light on this rumour as i personally have heard very little of it. Would love it to be true. I've read that Litespeed are connected to the Team Lotus name, so is that where the rumour is coming from?
Old 6 Jun 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2476554)   #2
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With Brabham and March on the frame, it was a matter of time to enter Lotus too in the rumour mills...
Old 6 Jun 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2476558)   #3
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't mind, bring back tobacco advertising and the beautiful black and gold cars !
Old 6 Jun 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2476573)   #4
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
With Brabham and March on the frame, it was a matter of time to enter Lotus too in the rumour mills...
perhaps not Brabham!

Brabham Family Statement Regarding Brabham Grand Prix Limited

Thursday 4 June 2009, UK; Sir Jack Brabham and the Brabham family have expressed their surprise at the recent news reporting that an entry has been submitted for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship by Formtech with the intention of operating as Brabham Grand Prix Limited.

The family would like to make it clear that they are in no way involved with Brabham Grand Prix Limited and received no consultation regarding the company’s plans to resurrect their historic name in Formula One.

The family is taking legal advice and will take necessary steps to protect their name, reputation and its goodwill.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2476577)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah Lotus ! It would be fantastic to have all those teams back, but as Brabham, I'm afraid they turn out to be just famous names to attract sponsorship or fools like us.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2476581)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't heard anything about Lotus other than on the BBC. Maybe David Hunt mentioned it but that was well before the entries opened
Old 6 Jun 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2476661)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Ah Lotus ! It would be fantastic to have all those teams back, but as Brabham, I'm afraid they turn out to be just famous names to attract sponsorship or fools like us.
Very good.. The last line is...
Old 6 Jun 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2476671)   #8
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no smoke without fire.........
Old 6 Jun 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2476688)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I heard on the Beeb's coverage today that Lotus were rumoured to be coming back to F1. Can anyone put any light on this rumour as i personally have heard very little of it. Would love it to be true. I've read that Litespeed are connected to the Team Lotus name, so is that where the rumour is coming from?
I think you have it there.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2476706)   #10
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Use a Vanwall for my avatar. Wish I owned the name. Would probably have an F1 wanabe round to see me before June 12th.
It really is getting a bit sick. Napier, Sunbeam, Duracq, etc next.
But then Auto Union might be interesting.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2476707)   #11
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just been sent this.....guess the rumours are no longer rumours.

It is the news that millions of fans across the globe have waited 15 years to hear – the prospect that the familiar British racing green and gold marque of Team Lotus may be back on the F1 world championship grid in 2010.

This announcement will come as a surprise to those who have dreamt, but dared not believe, that the iconic Team Lotus name would once again appear in the championship in which, to this day, it remains the 4th most successful constructor of all time. But for Nino Judge, Team Principal of Team Lotus (previously known as Litespeed GP) and Steve Kenchington, Director of Engineering, both ex Team Lotus F1, it was always to be the Team Lotus name under which they would want to submit the FIA team application

Most people already know that MGI Ltd and Mike Gascoyne are undertaking design activities for the new 2010 chassis,’ said Judge.

‘What has not been public knowledge until now has been our desire to secure the Team Lotus name. Team Lotus is synonymous with great British engineering and F1 innovation, such as the Lotus 25 being the first monocoque chassis in F1 and the introduction of groundbreaking sponsorship, both of which easily demonstrate why ex Lotus personnel would want to bring this championship-winning name back to the formula. Litespeed was born from a similar British background - a factor that was at the core of Colin Chapman’s beliefs and subsequent success.

‘David Hunt has been the custodian of the name for so many years and we thank him for entrusting us not just with its safeguard but, more importantly, its development in the racing world of tomorrow.’

Reiterating his support for the FIA’s proposed budget cap, Judge said, ‘The FIA’s new regulations are a bold initiative which allow for a level playing field in the sport for the first time. It underpins our objective to re-establish the Team Lotus name and paves the way for us to introduce a competitive car.

Is this the final piece being placed into a contemporary F1 team puzzle? Of course not – that would be to underestimate the vision of Judge and Kenchington. The team has recently taken on the RTN facility in Norfolk, a county that is associated not just with the Lotus name, but with racing per se.

‘I am Norfolk born and bred,’ said Gascoyne. ‘For me to continue my F1 career under the banner of the Team Lotus name and help to bring it back to its deserving place in the world championship is a fantastic feeling and something that I am extremely proud to be doing.’

So the real story behind Litespeed’s application is twofold: Norfolk and Team Lotus. It should then come as no surprise that Johnny Herbert – ex Team Lotus F1 and arguably the most popular person in the F1 paddock - has joined the team as both driver manager and global commercial ambassador.

The momentum is building, the team is growing, and for the loyal Lotus fans around the world, their dreams will be determined on 12th June
Old 6 Jun 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2476708)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's very big news
Old 6 Jun 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2476711)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm happy to say that there's a link.

http://http://www.pitpass.com/fes_ph...s_art_id=38118
Old 6 Jun 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2476714)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Here too

The facilities have been announced as well - the old Racing Technology Norfolk building used by TOM's GB and Bentley for the Le Mans-winning cars. And former Lotus driver Johnny Herbert has been hired as commercial ambassador and driver manager

Their credibility just went up eons
Old 7 Jun 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2476722)   #15
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is exciting!

I wish them the best of luck.

All we need now is for more of those pesky manufacturers to move along to make more space!
Old 7 Jun 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2476729)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news indeed. Lotus was always one of my favourites, driven by Ronnie Peterson. I hope they live up to their past history.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2476759)   #17
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
March, Brabham, Lotus - who's next? Hesketh!

a nice name doesn't make an F1 team!
Old 7 Jun 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2476770)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
...a nice name doesn't make an F1 team!
No it doesnt, but if Mr Gascoyne is involved, it kinda suggests the budget would be half decent (and already sorted..) to build a competitive car.

The only real concern I have with these new teams is the reliance on Cosworth... for while they are able to supply an engine, the world has moved on a little since they were last in...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Jun 2009, 06:09 (Ref:2476772)   #19
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this new effort connected to the old Lotus F1 team or the current road car company at all?
Old 7 Jun 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2476832)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMO this is practically nothing to do with the Team Lotus of old that we knew. It will never be the same thing whether it is successful or not. This is pointless. Bononi's post is bob on.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2476860)   #21
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes! In a way i really really hope they get in now, but realistically, i don't think they have much of a chance other than the branding they'll bring to the table.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2476869)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the very least, Lotus would have former Lotus F1 employee's with them, quite unlike the Brabham entry...

Now, they'd just need Ford engines and a cloned Colin Chapman, and the picture would be complete.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2476877)   #23
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So who are the drivers they're considering?
Old 7 Jun 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2476927)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Now, they'd just need Ford engines and a cloned Colin Chapman, and the picture would be complete.
That will be quite an achievement...
Old 7 Jun 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2477034)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Litespeed is run by 2 ex-Lotus employees, with another ex-Lotus driver doing the ambassadorial stuff, and it's going to be based just down the road from the old Lotus base. Definitely contains more of Lotus than Brabham, although the thing with Brabham was it changed hands numerous times anyway. It went from being Jack's team to Bernie's team and later to Middlebridge. So hardly new there