Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 9 Dec 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1175272)   #1
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darley Moor

Hi all, I usually hang out around the Karting forum, but I've come to pastures new for a specific reason.

I'm a kart racer and during 2005 I will be racing on some long circuits. The first one is Darley Moor in Derbyshire.

I've never visited the circuit & upon my 1st meeting there I will only have ten minutes to learn it prior to my 1st race! I have track maps of the circuit, but I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me any more details about the track. Such as a discription of a lap, if there are any websites containing photos of the circuit, or videos etc etc etc please.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 9 Dec 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1175284)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might also be worth asking in the bike racing forum - cars don't race there but bikes do.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1175288)   #3
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Good idea, thanks
Old 9 Dec 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1175318)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Also, if you've got a few quid to spare, you might want to get hold of a copy of the Circuit Driver "Karting Guide". If its half way as good as my UK Circuit Guide form the same people, then you'll learn about every bump and kerb of every track worth knowing about. Not completely sure if your circuit is in it cos I don't have a copy, but you sould be able to find out at www.circuitdriver.com
Old 9 Dec 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1175322)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Damn, just checked and I don't think it is... sorry, but it is in their Bike Circuit Guide. Dunno, but they might sell you that one separately (they now sell the car circuit guides separately).

Last edited by dtype38; 9 Dec 2004 at 14:05.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1175373)   #6
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Thanks for the ideas Dtype, I think I'll buy the set Should be dead handy because now due to the Class I'm racing in I've got basically every circuit in England both kart and non-kart open for me to race on

It's going to be odd though, from racing on circuits with average speeds of 50-60 mph to racing at 100mph+ averages.. but sounds great!!

Thanks
Old 9 Dec 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1175448)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have only spectated there, at a mixed Kart and Bike meeting, and it looks bloody quick to me with a couple of areas with not much run off at the end of long straights. The racing was excellent - and I would urge people to visit - but if you are competing, take care!! There is a club based there and I believe that they have test/ track days which would be worth going to. I asked if I could test a single seater but cars are not allowed as a condition of theirn planning permission, sadly.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1175506)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Alex... it's all a bit relative on the speed thing. Doing a 50mph average / 75mph top speed round Buckmore Park or Rye House feels a damn sight faster than an 80mph average / 120mph top speed Round Brands Hatch or Donnington in a saloon

anta:
Old 9 Dec 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1175544)   #9
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
I suppose it is relative because road circuits are a lot larger in size than kart circuits, but karts do lap most circuits on par with superbike times. I'm fully expecting to be totally bored along the straights lol (but still 130mph isn't that bad!!) It's going to be all about corner speed (just like Cadets again )

Andy, it's those meetings I will be competing in. The breaks are bloody good so run off shouldn't be much trouble.. I hope! It's actually registered to the MSA as a kart track, possibly part of the reason they wouldn't let you test there. I could really do with a test day there, or possibly at somewhere similar such as mallory, seeing as I've never run a kart on a long circuit. Could take some getting used to. It's a great unknown!

BTW Andy, I'm from Borrowash
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1175601)   #10
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't think of the name of the programme, but Men & Motors have a bike show where bikers turn up and are put throught their paces by a superbike rider to improve their performance on the track, and I seem to remember that the riders were being assessed at Darley Moor. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was on last week and I guess it's an ongoing thing.

Al.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1175612)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
bikers turn up and are put throught their paces by a superbike rider to improve their performance on the track, and I seem to remember that the riders were being assessed at Darley Moor.
THe ACU academy, a scheme to help promising young riders, uses Darley Moor. There's also a race school there, run by ex-sidecar racer Mick Boddice.