Old 10 Apr 2004, 23:48 (Ref:936152)   #1
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan Pulsar GTi-R (Jap Spec)

Hello people!

Right then, anyone able to give me their thoughts on this car? Like it? Ever owned one?

I'd like opinions basically. I'm 20 years oldf, soon to be 21 and I currently own a K reg 205 1.9GTi. At the time it was my "dream" car and I had always wanted one! I got one and I was not disappointed! A year later, I now want faster........

The Pulsar has caught my eye as it's rare, very fast, Japanese and has great spec. It is group 20 insurance though which is good fun at my age, but I reckon I can insure it for about £1600.

Now is it worth buying one of these? The going rate seems to be a bout 5k for a decent one.

Your thoughts?
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:31 (Ref:936456)   #2
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nice car. guaranteed to have been thrashed to within an inch of their life though. Save your money and look at other options that are easily as quick and cheaper to run

£1600
Old 11 Apr 2004, 20:39 (Ref:936720)   #3
Az
Racer

England
UK
Yes I suppose your right, but thats the risk you take when buying almost any second hand "fast" car.

I've driven a couple of Pulsar's and they are seriously fast!! 200+ bhp, 4x4, Turbo'ed, Air con etc etc.

Do you have any other reccomendations?
Old 12 Apr 2004, 00:07 (Ref:936857)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would rather buy an FTO or Skyline.
When i can uhm... afford it...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 12 Apr 2004 at 00:08.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 09:27 (Ref:938027)   #5
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a friend has one in black, 95M japan import, bought it for just over £3500 (needed minor work). done up to around 280bhp, one pocket rocket. has one of the most "upright" rear windscreens ever, doesn't look too pretty though but damn fast! he's 25 and from what i heard, he's paying a lot for his insurance, well over £1000. he wants to flog it but i don't recommend because he thrashes his car on a daily basis...
Old 13 Apr 2004, 09:28 (Ref:938030)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If you do get one stick to running 15's - running bigger wheels on Pulsars is well known for knackering the drive train. They'll all have been soundly thrashed too - but after all that's what they're for
Old 13 Apr 2004, 16:56 (Ref:938509)   #7
Az
Racer

England
UK
LOL, cheers for the info!

Yeh I know there are much nicer looking cars about, but they cost a lot more than 5k for the performance I'm looking for.

Yeh I heard putting big wheels on them knackers it too, so i'll stick to some decent 15s.

I'm going to do my best to find one that has been looked after! There must be some out there lol. I'll look after it thats for sure, but every now and then hehe
Old 13 Apr 2004, 22:15 (Ref:938855)   #8
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
stretch your budget a wee bit and go for a Celica GT4. Quite a few on Autotrader. ST205 version if you can find one more again but worth it...

much much nicer than a GTi-R and a better chance of getting a decent condition one.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 07:45 (Ref:941215)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i 2 love the gti-r, but they usually been thrashed around cuz they are quick cars (as you know) apart form the drive train, might want some brakes, they are spongey. hope this helps. o/