Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jan 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1816825)   #1
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports Sedan schedules for 2007

Here are the dates:

Sports Sedans Series

R1
Apr 21-22
Oran Park

R3
May 26-27
QLD Raceway

R5
Jul 14-15
Eastern Creek

R8
Oct 13-14
Mallala

R10
Dec 8-9
Sandown

Some Updated news:new Trans-am cars coming to Australia permanently. A Chev Camaro for Geoff Munday and same for Jamie McHugh, ex speedway super sedan star. A couple of new sports sedans joining as well so the grids should be quite full.

Something like 27 very good cars registered for the 2007 series. Let's hope they all want to race every meeting. Perseverance is starting to pay off for the category. Some control will be built in to the rules for RPM, traction control and ABS brakes. The objective is closer racing, not faster racing for the haves only.

There will be 30 minutes per round TV on Speedweek and fox (increased from 20 minutes) so you should be able to see most of the action. Kerrick again are naming rights sponsor to the series.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 16 Jan 2007 at 18:57.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1817105)   #2
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear that they are ammending the Sports Sedan regs to increase the multi valve engine capacity and allow 4wd vehicles. This should open up the door for some GTRs, Evos and WRX/STis etc.
I don't know how competitive they might be but I think it's a step in the right direction for CAMS and one that needed to be taken to combat the AASA.

Paul.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:10 (Ref:1817130)   #3
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
This should open up the door for some GTRs, Evos and WRX/STis etc.
I don't know how competitive they might be but I think it's a step in the right direction for CAMS and one that needed to be taken to combat the AASA.
I have my doubts how effective such a rule change will be. These cars to be just "field fillers"? They cannot be outright contenders. Allowing a bigger capacity for multi-valve engines is a step in the right direction.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1817134)   #4
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
It's hard to imagine that any such cars could be competitive against the current crop of Sports Sedans but.......
I currently compete against quite a few Sports Sedans at the Top Gear race meetings at Queensland Raceway. I have a 2000 WRX STi with a lightly modified engine, brake and suspension package running semi slick Bridegstone Re55 tyres. I have a number of close races with the under 2 litre guys and come out on top a few times. Occasionally a few of the big boys come out to play and they are 4-6 seconds a lap quicker than myself on the National circuit. These are state level competitors and I have no idea how they stack up against the National level boys. Having said that though I know of a least one WRX and one GTR that are currently being built that will go close to the state level competitor times. These are full bodied cars with engines putting out ~400kw atw and weigh in at ~1150-1300kg. Could be interesting?

Paul.

Last edited by TCR; 17 Jan 2007 at 02:34.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:39 (Ref:1817135)   #5
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
[These are full bodied cars with engines putting out ~400kw atw and weigh in at ~1150-1300kg. Could be interesting?
Probably 700hp + at least to be mildly competitive. The 4wd could be a hindrance on some circuits.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:43 (Ref:1817137)   #6
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
I'm probably showing my lack of detailed knowledge about this category but what sort of power and weight figures would a "competitive" car have? 700hp+, is that at the wheels?

Paul.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 02:55 (Ref:1817140)   #7
roverboy
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
roverboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I can't wait for the National Sports Sedan Series to kick off. Myself and some of the other QLD State competitors will be doing as many rounds a our budgets will allow.

TCR - The change in rules allows 4WD as long as you run original floorpan and run an engine based on the original unit - you can't put a chev in your WRX!!!

The Queensland State Championship will include these cars this year. Basically all are welcome.

2007 Queensland Sports Sedan and Invited Car Championship
* 5 rounds
* Fully sponsored, trophys and prize money
* Open to all eligable cars including Touring Cars, All wheel drivers, GTP, Porsches etc
* Class structure and awards for - up to 2000cc
- 2001cc to 4000cc
- steel body cars
- hard charger award
*** More to follow - stay tuned***

For more info contact the Queensland Racing Drivers Assoc via www.qrda.asn.au

Colin Smith
Rover - Chev Sports Sedan 44
Old 17 Jan 2007, 06:48 (Ref:1817183)   #8
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
I'm probably showing my lack of detailed knowledge about this category but what sort of power and weight figures would a "competitive" car have? 700hp+, is that at the wheels?
700hp from the engine not at the wheels..about 2500lbs
Old 17 Jan 2007, 07:05 (Ref:1817187)   #9
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
TCR - The change in rules allows 4WD as long as you run original floorpan and run an engine based on the original unit - you can't put a chev in your WRX!!!
Colin, why would I want to spoil a perfectly good WRX by putting a chev in it Seriously though, I think it's a good move. I don't know if it will increase numbers but personally from someone who was not interested in running a restricted setup in IP it's caught my eye and has me thinking. I also know of someone building 2.8 litre engined WRX that is also interested.

Ryan, if they are running ~700 at the flywheel would it be safe to say they had ~600 at the wheels? If so 600hp and 2500lbs is not too far from ~400kw and 1150kg. Either way I've always liked the Sports Sedans and I hope they continue to get good support from competitors and promoters alike.

Paul.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1817215)   #10
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Either way I've always liked the Sports Sedans and I hope they continue to get good support from competitors and promoters alike.
Once you get some sufficient momentum ,then others start offering "factory chassis's" like as in Speedway /Drag racing and the whole class will boom.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1817305)   #11
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting stuff, can't wait to see the big boys out there.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1818149)   #12
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sports Sedans were starting to gain momentum towards the end of 2006 with a great turn out at Oran Park. It was good to see the State based supporters like yourself Roverboy and the likes of Chris Jackson etc come out and support the National Series and hopefully some of the National Series competitors will return the favour for your state based series.

Has anyone got any pics or seen a pic yet of the much anticipated Audi from John Gourley???
Old 18 Jan 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1818238)   #13
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR
I hear that they are ammending the Sports Sedan regs to increase the multi valve engine capacity and allow 4wd vehicles. This should open up the door for some GTRs, Evos and WRX/STis etc.

Paul.
I don't know about this with the open/national series SS's but the Vic Under 2 litre SS's series is allowing the likes of WRX/Evo's to compete as long as they have a 36mm restrictor and a minimum set weight. I'm trying to get a budget together to run in this series atm.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1818277)   #14
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
I don't know about this with the open/national series SS's but the Vic Under 2 litre SS's series is allowing the likes of WRX/Evo's to compete as long as they have a 36mm restrictor and a minimum set weight. I'm trying to get a budget together to run in this series atm.
Well, the ammended regs I received from a current competitor up here in QLD seems to allow the likes of these cars to run in an unrescrited form with a maximum engine capacity of 3529cc and a minimum weight based on engine capacity. The usual multiplication factor of 1.7 still applies for forced induction and there is a 75kg penalty for multi valve engines and another 50kg weight for all wheel drive vehicles.

Theorectically I can have a maximum engine capacity of 3529cc and run a minimum weight of 1025kg. Not that this is likely to happen but it'd be a hell of a rocket if I could

Paul.
Old 18 Jan 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1818285)   #15
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
The 36mm restrictor would be in line with the current improved production regs, so perhaps they are trying to entice a few of these guys over.

The ammended regs I received from a current competitor up here in QLD seems to allow the likes of these cars to run in an unrescrited form with a maximum engine capacity of 3529cc and a minimum weight based on engine capacity. The usual multiplication factor of 1.7 still applies for forced induction and there is a 75kg penalty for multi valve engines and another 50kg weight for all wheel drive vehicles.

With my current engine capacity of 2000cc I would have to run a minimum weight of 1025kg. I'd have to have a closer look into the regs but I'd say anyone that was half serious would probably look at running an engine capacity that would put them at a minimum weight of around 1100kg as it's unlikely you'll ever get a full bodied car weighing less than this. This could mean running a base engine capacity of around 2500cc which could possibly make something like 350kw at the wheels with the right setup. Put that into a 1100kg car and it'd make a reasonably quick car.

Paul.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 05:34 (Ref:1819051)   #16
ASSA Member
Racer

ASSA Member should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allowing the turbo 4WD cars in along with the bigger multi valve motors is a good move in my opinion, it will attract some much need new blood. It also gives the guys who run these cars somewhere to race where they can actually run slicks and don't have to have an air restrictor the size of a 20 cent piece in front of their turbocharger.
Believe it or not you old fossils but not everyone wants to build a car with a small block Chev and some antique Holley carb sitting on top of it!

Also from what I am hearing in NSW a few more cars should be running in the local state series too which is a positive move.
It is a pity though that CAMS has further condensed the series into running over just 6 months. It doesn't give a lot of time for people to make repairs if they hurt an engine or damage the bodywork....
Old 19 Jan 2007, 05:59 (Ref:1819055)   #17
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSA Member
It also gives the guys who run these cars somewhere to race where they can actually run slicks and don't have to have an air restrictor the size of a 20 cent piece in front of their turbocharger.
Don't get me started with restrictors and the antiquated Improved Production regs Anyway, I agree a lot of people, including myself, don't want to run these sort of cars with restrictors on them. I know some guys who have given up on IP because of this very reason and a few more who are intrested in these new regs for SS. I hope it pays off for them and they get a few extra cars to strengthen their numbers.

Paul.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1819113)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roverboy: Outstanding news, I really look forward to seeing some interesting Japanese exotica come into the class.

For far too long the WRX/Evo crowd has been the largest growth area in street registerred cars, and has long been treated with contempt by CAMS circuit category regulations. To see this translate into a class that isn't hugely restrictive on modiifcations like Improved Production or GT-Performance is a big step forward.
Old 19 Jan 2007, 09:47 (Ref:1819174)   #19
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
I wonder just how quick Loftus would have his improved Production GTR running if he was allowed to run it without any restrictions.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1820787)   #20
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Allowing the turbo 4WD cars in along with the bigger multi valve motors is a good move in my opinion, it will attract some much need new blood.
They will go on to move up the ladder and build a very quick National class car. 4 WD's and EVO's are not going to cut it at that level, but it does bring new blood in.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 21 Jan 2007 at 10:39.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1821452)   #21
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
I wonder just how quick Loftus would have his improved Production GTR running if he was allowed to run it without any restrictions.
Well 425-450kw at the wheels is achievable with the right sort of mods and fuel. Put that together with a stripped out car at approx. 1300kg and I'd say it'd go damn quick

Paul.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1893702)   #22
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
With the Opening round this weekend at Oran Park, does anyone have an entry list??? Will Bryan Thomson be running his Camaro?? Is John Gourley's new Audi going to be running?? what about John Keen's RX7??
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1893752)   #23
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told the Gourlay Audi will not be at Round 1 but Round 2 is looking like the debut. Not sure about the others. McFadyen is in the UK i thought so unless John Keen has got someone else to drive the 'RX7' would he run it? McFadyen was the only one iv seen who was able to really be up front with it. I hope they can get a solid grid for Round 1 and the NSW guys can get behind them. If Chris Jackson and Anthony MacReady run they should be able to hold their own. Does anyone know if Scott Butlers Camaro the old Chris Jackson one?
Old 17 Apr 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1894343)   #24
roverboy
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
roverboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the entry list as I have it

Dean Randle - Saab
Tony Riciadello - Alfa
Charlie Senese – Honda Prelude
Graham Smith - Calibra
Luke Marinelli – Ford Anglia
Des Wall - Corvette
Kerry Baily – Nissan 300ZX
Geoff Munday - Camaro
Mark Nelson - Saab
Colin Smith - Rover
Daniel Jameson - Jaguar
Chris Jackson - Calibra
Bob McLoughlin - Commadore
Fred Axisa - Commadore
Dave McGinniss - Calibra
Mike Roddy - Jaguar
Stephen Voight – Nissan 300ZX
Anthony Macready - Rover
Old 18 Apr 2007, 03:03 (Ref:1894391)   #25
ASSA Member
Racer

ASSA Member should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
IMcFadyen is in the UK i thought so unless John Keen has got someone else to drive the 'RX7' would he run it? McFadyen was the only one iv seen who was able to really be up front with it.
I though McFadyen was back in the country, wasn't he driving a V8 at Wakefield a few weeks back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett
Does anyone know if Scott Butlers Camaro is the old Chris Jackson one?
Scott Butler's car is a brand new car built to the new rules. Chris Jackson still has his Camro which is actually for sale.