Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Dec 2002, 08:40 (Ref:443976)   #1
beedie
Rookie

beedie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets put Deb Renshaw in the #3 car!!

I would love too see it!
Old 6 Dec 2002, 17:28 (Ref:444439)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about taking away her competition license for causing an avoidable fatal accident
Old 6 Dec 2002, 20:19 (Ref:444542)   #3
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I agree with taking it away from her because of the accident. If I recall, wasn't the guy sitting in the middle of the track for like 10 seconds before she ran into him at a high rate of speed. Even if she did not have spotter, she should have been aware of the caution light going into turn 3 and or the crew letting her know there was an accident. Accidents happen, but this one could have been easily avoided, instead a man losr his life!
Old 7 Dec 2002, 00:21 (Ref:444746)   #4
beedie
Rookie

If the guy didn't crash in the first place it would not of happened. It was practice for crips sake. What kind of clown takes himself out in practice in the first place. Something like that only builds charecter and with all the back woods red necks in the sport that don't like getting beat by ladies she could use it!!
Old 7 Dec 2002, 00:37 (Ref:444755)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
russfeld, you are a knowledgeable race fan and I am a little dissapointed in your comment. There were many factors that contributed to the terrible accident and have all been discussed with the conclusion that it was not Debra's fault.

Now for beedies asinine post:

Quote:
Originally posted by beedie
If the guy didn't crash in the first place it would not of happened. It was practice for crips sake. What kind of clown takes himself out in practice in the first place. Something like that only builds charecter and with all the back woods red necks in the sport that don't like getting beat by ladies she could use it!!
1.Any fan knows that crashes happen all the time in practice.
2. Being involved in a fatal accident builds character? You seem to have a poor definition of character building.
3. I dont know why I am responding to B as he is quickly booted off all sites in short order.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 04:28 (Ref:444818)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

It was not debra's fault was the PC opt-out comment. She was out of her depth and it was unavoidable accident, death or not. The fact that her irresponsibility lead to another person's death only makes it that much worse.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 08:24 (Ref:444884)   #7
beedie
Rookie

What did I start? I would love to see Deb get a full time Busch ride again. And if you think it was 'her' fault then your amateur butts better sit down and learn the whole facts and just learn about racing in general!!!!
Old 7 Dec 2002, 23:21 (Ref:445294)   #8
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not saying that they should charge her with manslaughter or anything, just that there are certain things that drivers MUST be aware of.

LIKE A CAR SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRACK!
Old 8 Dec 2002, 03:25 (Ref:445397)   #9
beedie
Rookie

How was she to know that there was someone on the track practicing that needed more laps then she did. If the guy didn't wreck in the first place, it would not of happened! So be it! Drivers know now that this lady isn't holding back for no one, so the old ones in Nascar better start getting out of the freaking way instead of just doing their big money laps week after week! Not even trying to win, just doing the laps!
Old 8 Dec 2002, 20:01 (Ref:445769)   #10
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will actually agree with Beedhead for this one.
It was investigated.
She was cleared.
The problem was blamed on the spotter.
End of story.

Some people will go to any lengths to blame a woman for any problem on the track. Some don't think that women should be there & this will help their cause. I personally think that they are afraid of a woman being successful. Afraid that we will come in & show them boys a thing or two. It will happen. In Time. & Men will be in Awe.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 20:54 (Ref:445791)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

I dont care who was driving, it was a stupid and avoidable accident. That the driver in question is of some noteriety and of low experience only makes it that much more outrageous
Old 8 Dec 2002, 23:15 (Ref:445887)   #12
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the poor guy sitting in the middle of the track was unsighted by the driver..ie she was behind someone and maybe pulled out then she can't be blamed...but if she drove round while everyone else slowed a slammed in without lifting with the stationary car in sight then there's no doubt who was to blame even if the spotter was half asleep. Trouble is none of us were there so I guess we should all shut up!!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 09:32 (Ref:448140)   #13
beedie
Rookie

She needs another ride, and I hope to see her get one soon!
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:27 (Ref:448300)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I have read, Renshaw will run a limited ARCA schedule again in 2003. She chose not to pursue the full-time BGN deal she had in place because of her injuries at Charlotte (hence not being able to run the BGN races they had planned for late this season). The owner, Rick Goodwin, has said he has left the door open for her whenever she feels ready again.

As for her accident, she had probably something like 2 seconds to react to the stationary car - *and* cope with the fluids Martin's car put down - in her path when she came out of turn 4 as the track leveled out, as she didn't get any information from her spotter (who actually couldn't even see the area of the track where Martin's car came to rest from where the spotter was standing - on top of the team's hauler).

Also, several drivers have called for dash-mounted caution lights, like the ones used in various other forms of racing, since they think the caution lights are sometimes hard to see in the way they are mounted at most tracks these days, and if you are focused on a mock qualifying run - as Deborah was at the time of the crash - it makes it even harder to see them (the lights).

Could it have been avoided? Of course it could, but since neither ARCA nor NASCAR mandated spotters during practice (in ARCA having a spotter on the team hauler was deemed sufficient, while NASCAR didn't mandate spotters at all during practice) along with the unfortunate place where Martin's car came to rest (worst place imaginable), this is nothing more than a tragic accident.

The only thing even remotely positive about this is that both ARCA and NASCAR now mandates spotters to be present on top of the grandstands at all times, but as always, it takes a fatality for them to react (just like it took the death of Alexander, Roper, Irwin, Petty and Earnhardt for them to mandate the neck and head restraints).

Speaking of taking away her license, do you know who Mike Rich was? FYI, he was a tire changer for Bill Elliott who was crushed when Ricky Rudd lost control in the pits and spun into the stationary car of Elliott at Alanta back in 1990. Did you call for Ricky Rudd's stock-car license to be removed back then? And did you call for Richard Petty to be charged with manslaughter when he lost control of a dragster (yes he did some dragracing way back) and hit a spectator that was fatally injured on the spot?

The speeds involved and the thousand factors that play into it make it extremely hard to make motorsports "fool-proof" and completely safe, and although death should never be an accepted part of motorsports, it remains a fact that motorsports are dangerous and if the various sanctioning bodies stepped up and actually tried to prevent death and serious injuries rather than reacting to it (I think I could write a book about things that could have been handled better by various sanctioning bodies throughout the years), we would come a long way towards a better racing enviroment. It wouldn't be risk-free (100% safe racing is an utopia), but the threat of death would be made smaller.

Just my two cents.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 17:10 (Ref:448481)   #15
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rusty fan.....Very good post. Of course there will always be those who ignore the facts and like to fan-the-fire.

BTW, some time I will tell you the story of rusty and the cannonball run he made in Charlotte, NC in 1989 or 1990 (if you havent already heard the story).
Old 12 Dec 2002, 19:14 (Ref:448538)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks, just trying to do my part.

As for Rusty and his cannonball run, you wouldn't be thinking about the last couple of laps of the 1989 edition of The Winston, would you?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 23:52 (Ref:448732)   #17
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Rustyfan, I am not sure of the year either 1989 or 1990. I was living in Charlotte, NC at the time. Ok, for the story:

Rick Hendrick made a bet with Rusty that he could not drive across town in RUSH HOUR within a certain time limit. The starting point was from Hendrick's Pontiac dealership on University Boulevard to downtown Charlotte. Rusty won the bet. He flew like the devil passing cars and going down one way streets the wrong way, etc. Rusty was on the radio afterwards and gave a rundown of the whole race against time. You should have heard Rusty on the radio...talk about exciting...wow. Something like that could not happen today and would not be tolerated. I know this sounds like a tall tale but it actually did happen.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 00:13 (Ref:448737)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
see previous post....Actually, if I recall correctly it was Paul Newman that got Rusty into the race across town in the morning rush hour.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 06:46 (Ref:448867)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I actually do believe it, considering the other things Rusty has done over the years heh - great story

Delivering a $10,000 fine in pennies to the NASCAR headquarters, having two big trucks dumping it all outside the building, still remains my favorite though.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 16:50 (Ref:449157)   #20
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Thanks for your trust in me....check this out for confirmation...scroll down to the last headline.

http://nl3.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...e%20AND%20date(04/05/1989%20to%2010/05/1989)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=04/05/1989%20to%2010/05/1989&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date&xcal_useweights=no
Old 22 Dec 2002, 12:49 (Ref:455442)   #21
beedie
Rookie

Anyone know how much Arca she will be running?