Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 2 Dec 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1170293)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where do you keep your car ?

what type of place i mean, your garage, back yard, farm or do you hire some space from someone ?
Old 4 Dec 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1170918)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I built myself a year or so ago something I have wanted for many years, a proper very large brick (well thermalite block) built workshop in my yard at the house, it's heaven and could hold three normal sized cars or 2 chevys.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1171163)   #3
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
double garage at home
Old 5 Dec 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1171169)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ken Clarke Motorsport.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1171317)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Cant see how to upload picckies anymore I was going to post a shot of my lovely workshop I built, whats happened.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1171342)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Cant see how to upload picckies anymore I was going to post a shot of my lovely workshop I built, whats happened.
You need to load it from a website.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1171465)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)

Lets try this then. All my own work from footings to ridge tiles, it nearly killed me.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 5 Dec 2004 at 17:38.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1171610)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nice shed. (I mean the vehicle not the building.)
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1171622)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Hey thats no shed it's a Capri butt kicker.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:13 (Ref:1171624)   #10
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just built (almost finished) a new garage. holds up to 8 cars. Steel famed, concrete panel walling and fibre board cladding. just fitting out the welding bay and workshop at the moment. still need to concrete top section so still time to dig in a pit if I can get away with it (get it past the wife).
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:16 (Ref:1171632)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
8 Cars that is just being plain greedy (you lucky sod).
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1171680)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Hey thats no shed it's a Capri butt kicker.
That would be really impressive if you didn't have two more litres.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1171685)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
2.7 Peter and two more cylinders and two more chokes and about half a ton heavier!!!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1172117)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
we built a workshop last year, all block work about 25' x 20', a car this year, and now the whole thing is full of stuff !

having done all that we can make a start on the house !!!

one thing which was well worh the extra weeks wait, and £200 was insulating the roof and drylining, keeps it clean warm and dry, marvellous!
Old 8 Dec 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1174529)   #15
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished building 40 sq metre garage. We were told that is maximum allowed without planning permission. We thought it would be good for 3 cars and bits and pieces. This is the 1st car we have build from scratch. We have 1 car in their and have almost run out of space already!!!!!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1175038)   #16
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

my car lived outside until earlier this year when i put up a large garage which would hold my car, race car, trailer, benches, tools, motorcycle and have some space, that was in feb, now its a struggle to get one car in, where does all the stuff come from......
Old 9 Dec 2004, 08:04 (Ref:1175052)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Graham being very aware of that situation, how our wonderful garages set aside for us chaps only can quickly come infested with anything from kids summer toys, garden furniiture and anything else the wife decides may be a good idea to keep for a whle, before I built my garage I built a huge shed (not my Camaro race car Peter, thank you) and all the junk now goes in there. My garage is strickly for race cars and out of bounds to all and everyone else.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1175194)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrprise
Just finished building 40 sq metre garage. We were told that is maximum allowed without planning permission. We thought it would be good for 3 cars and bits and pieces. This is the 1st car we have build from scratch. We have 1 car in their and have almost run out of space already!!!!!

sounds like me, I have 50m2 (extended from 20) built on the quiet, I thought 3 at a squeeze, 2 with space to work on one, but with plenty of working space and stacks of spares I'm more than comfortable with just the one car !

unfortunately this means we're also renting 2 lock ups !
Old 12 Dec 2004, 09:39 (Ref:1177472)   #19
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine lives in half the garage, but there are parts strewn everwhere throughout the garage
Old 12 Dec 2004, 10:49 (Ref:1177507)   #20
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine lives in the shed at the car's owners house. It is a great shed that would fit a dozen cars in there without all the associated **** that comes with a race car. At the moment there are 3 x rx7's, an rx3 a 15t pantech and lots of parts in there.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 12 Dec 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1177539)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes ran into the planning permision situaton and buildng regs etc. I thought would get round it wth a pre-fab but the council guy told me the same rules would apply. footings etc. so I just went a head and bult it from blocks and morter. The original plan was for 3 car capacity now that is 2 with comfortable working area and so one of the cars has to live in the yard under cover. Mind you I laid a fair bit of concrete in the yard so this is not really a problem and I can stll park my trailer there as well.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1177613)   #22
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I own an architectural planning firm and my brother in-law owns a large building firm which is why I managed to get an 8 booth garage (he-he). Still manage to fill it with "future useful styuff" (junk)
Old 12 Dec 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1177617)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
interesting, in different parts of the world with varyiing land prices to have a plot and garage like I have for example I am most fortunate when literally half a mile away people can't park on car outside ther front doors. Take Carlos in Cumbria where I am sure an 8 booth garage if built down the south would occupy a piece of real estate that is probably woth £250,000. I built my garage as I say but I looked for a long time for a plot like ths, only wish I had it 20 years ago, all a bit late now I guess. I have the workshop but always too tired or put my back out or like today got some bug or other to do the cars.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 12 Dec 2004 at 15:14.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 15:59 (Ref:1177635)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes ran into the planning permision situaton and buildng regs etc. I thought would get round it wth a pre-fab but the council guy told me the same rules would apply.
Generally, so long as you stick within the pointers on the site below, you'll be fine with regards planning permission if it's classed as a 'sectional or portable building.' Building regs don't usually apply to this type of building and the only thing you'll need to check will be if there is a restrictive covenant on your property.

Last edited by Craig; 25 Apr 2013 at 20:45. Reason: Removed dead link
Old 12 Dec 2004, 16:06 (Ref:1177640)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I was thinking of something more substantial than a timber building Craig also I had trees nearby and had to go down 1.5 mts in places. I am talking building regs here as well as planning which are separate issues in a way. f I had made it under 40sq mts I think it was, I could have built without bulding regs at all.