Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Jun 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1641660)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC & WTCC engine power???....

what sort of power figures are the latest BTCC and WTCC engines producing???.... I was involved with Proton and Peugeot BTCC engine design back in 2001 and they had about 274bhp.......but what do they have now?.......I'm guessing they must be well into 280?.....
Old 26 Jun 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1641665)   #2
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Roughly 260 for S2000 and 270 for BTCT
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1641991)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know there have been no engine regulation changes for the last couple of years, at least in the WTCC. I saw a article in Autosport a couple of years ago and they were saying around 280bhp was the sort of mark for WTCC cars. This year the cars are faster again, I would say anything up to 300bhp is possible at the moment, at least from the top cars.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1642025)   #4
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to a Swedish magazine STCC cars (S2000) has 170+ bhp
Old 26 Jun 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1642096)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
figures published by the WTCC teams are
BMW 'around 270bhp'
SEAT 260bhp
Alfa Romeo 275bhp
Chevrolet 280 bhp

MG / Team RAC BTCC 275bhp
Don't have Vauxhall's info to hand

I'll leave you to decide how 'official' relates to actual figures
Old 27 Jun 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1642271)   #6
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously they don't

You have to bear in mind that in WTCC there is no reason for manufacturers to do very expensive development programmes because the Buro will take their advantage away anyway. Remember, WTCC is a marketing exercise first and foremost with an eye on costs. So I wouldn't be surprised if the BTCC cars are actually more powerful.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 07:32 (Ref:1642299)   #7
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
power

interesting that Chevy have 280.....I find that quite hard to believe......have they been given a rev increase break like BMW got on the 6-pot???.......to 9000rpm if I remember correctly for the beemers, 8500 for everyone else???........would be interesting to know what vauxhall and particularly the dynamics hondas have????......going from my previous experience - I would be very surprised to hear teams approaching 300hp.......more likley in the 280hp region
Old 27 Jun 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1642465)   #8
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chevy definately got a break from the Buro and it wasn't revs. I believe it had something to do with the air intake of the engine.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1642766)   #9
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it was bigger valves .. and if I remember corectly . it was before Macau last year

don't know if they kept them for this year

Ciao Marco
Old 27 Jun 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1642862)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have kept them.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1642937)   #11
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do chevy's still have the 20XE style engine?? They probably will easily get that out of that engine without much risk as it is iron blcked but obviously heavier and more difficult to drag round.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1642950)   #12
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
They have kept them.
And SEAT continues so unhappy.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:09 (Ref:1643004)   #13
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46
And SEAT continues so unhappy.
But they get their special level floor instead. WTCC org. trying to keep everyone happy.

I don't like these special rules for each car.

Let them work their own way to the top pace instead.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1643020)   #14
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
I don't like these special rules for each car.

Let them work their own way to the top pace instead.
I agree on that one
Old 28 Jun 2006, 06:26 (Ref:1643135)   #15
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Well if they did that nobody but BMW would win as their production car is so much better that anything else on the grid (except maybe Alfa). You would never have so many works teams, never have so much competition. Is that what you would like?
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1643155)   #16
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
engine power

interesting that when BMW were not competitive they let them run their engines to 9000rpm........chevy were uncompetitive so they let them have bigger valves?......seems a bit inconsistent to me........If chevvy are running an XE I find it hard to believe the valves were too small, the XE engine is a very good performance motor as standard, 220bhp with a set of cams and 45 DCOE's easy peasy........

does anyone know the WTCC regs on valve size?.....do they state a max size or just that you gotta run standard size valves?......in the BTCC it just stated a maximum size for inlet and exhaust. and it was quite a generous size if I remember correctly.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1643284)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The WTCC (and BTCC) cars need a small performance boost in my opinion.

They still don't look as fast or as spectacular as the last Super Tourers from 2000.

If they had 2.2L engines and had slightly wider tyres by a few mm, then the cars would be far better to watch.

It would also be good if their exhausts were slightly louder, they sound so quiet!
Old 28 Jun 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1643406)   #18
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

They still don't look as fast or as spectacular as the last Super Tourers from 2000.

If they had 2.2L engines and had slightly wider tyres by a few mm, then the cars would be far better to watch.

It would also be good if their exhausts were slightly louder, they sound so quiet!

I agree. I like "cheap" S2000 spirit, but I would like faster cars too. The question is: can it get with current budgets?
Old 28 Jun 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1643411)   #19
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

Agreed - the BTCC and WTCC cars are a bit mikey-mouse in my opinion.......they are more like group-N cars than proper touring cars, sounding like wet farts......the engine regs should be adjusted to get them around the 300Bhp mark, but I would be surprised if they went the 2.2 route, as that would be impossible for most of the BTCC and WTCC engines which are derived form 1.6 and 1.8 base units......more likley higher compression, more valve lift and increased revs to 9000rpm....... and they should be allowed to run closer to the floor for more ground force.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1643423)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless I am mistaken the WTCC cars are pegged back by a air restrictor like what we have in sportscars? If this is the case then there is no need for a change to the engine regulations, all that needs to be done is for the FIA to give slightly larger restrictors and therefore more power.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1643433)   #21
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
power increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Unless I am mistaken the WTCC cars are pegged back by a air restrictor like what we have in sportscars? If this is the case then there is no need for a change to the engine regulations, all that needs to be done is for the FIA to give slightly larger restrictors and therefore more power.
if the WTCC restrictor is anything like the 60mm Jenvey throttle body BTCC "restrictor" ......then it aint a restrictor......mountune were asked by the BTCC rule makers to test smaller throttle bodies, and they found they could go all the way down to 45mm without harming the 274bhp power output.......

the BTCC power restriction is in the 2.0L capacity, RPM, valve diameter, cam lift & duration, and the compression ratio.....increase those, and you increase the power.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1643589)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46
I agree. I like "cheap" S2000 spirit, but I would like faster cars too. The question is: can it get with current budgets?
It would cost virtually nothing to make the tyres, say 15mm wider.

Granted there would be possible big costs to increase the engine cc, so perhaps raising the rev limit coupled with other measures could (should?) be looked at...
Old 28 Jun 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1643678)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they have plenty grip on the current sized tyres.

What I find strange is when I get a SEAT promotion through the letterbox with their Leon with a "BTCC inspired bodykit and 18" wheels" when the BTCC is only 17"...

Tags
wtcc