Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 12 Feb 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1520792)   #1
jjd
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
jjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say

Having wandered away from F1 due to the procession it is, just watching the A1 live now and gee passing plus, love it. Good formula.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1521500)   #2
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you've seen the light. I will still watch F1 but the constant rules tinkering annoy me.

So you missed Brands at the beginning of the season? Matt Halliday on the podium, the Haka on the grid before the race (live on global TV!) - I had goosebumps I tell you...
Old 14 Feb 2006, 04:48 (Ref:1522295)   #3
jjd
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
jjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Glad you've seen the light. I will still watch F1 but the constant rules tinkering annoy me.

So you missed Brands at the beginning of the season? Matt Halliday on the podium, the Haka on the grid before the race (live on global TV!) - I had goosebumps I tell you...
I am always busy when it's on, but with the break from work I am having...I thought why not give it a go. Will watch it from now on.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1524456)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm to busy sleeping to watch A1GP. The look of the cars turn me away instantly. (That's just my opinion before my head gets bitten off.)
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1524538)   #5
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont judge a book by its cover,
if you did that you would think the pinicale of motorsport, ie F1 would have lots of overtaking, and we all know thats not true
Old 16 Feb 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1524691)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gutted because - I don't have Sky Sports. So I cannot really judge it. Seems quite fun though, they should make a Playstation Game
Old 17 Feb 2006, 00:14 (Ref:1524700)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In terms of pure racing, this is easily the best high profile series around, and if you go back to my original thoughts on this series I was very sceptical. Absolutely delighted at having to eat my words. I still don't buy into the nation idea, but who cares and the cars look better in their colours than the vast majority of advertising billboards you see elsewhere.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1524714)   #8
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The look of the cars turn me away instantly. (That's just my opinion before my head gets bitten off.)
Just a gentle inquiry... what's a good car look like?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 01:03 (Ref:1524720)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cars from the '90s. Most modern cars apart from Champ Cars and sports cars look ugly to me...A1GP and IRL cars are ugly but then again they provide close exciting racing and it usually brings your mind away from it well me. Each to their own as I don't want to put down A1GP to its fans I just don't see it as all that great as it is portrayed.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1524842)   #10
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to each their own, aye?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1524864)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well, the more I watch it the more I enjoy it. To see different levels of driver skills being tested in equal machinery makes it all the more interesting for me. There have been to really exciting races of late, the street race from Durban followed by the circuit race from Sentul, both won by a driver coming from the back of the grid.

I think that at times we forget that spectators want to see the thrills and spills of motor racing as well, and A1GP certainly provide that in bucket loads. As more and more people get to hear about the exciting races, I feel it will attrack more interest and from a broader base than present. Lets not forget that this is still the inaugural season and lessons are being learnt, I see next years season as being even better and with some different circuits to boot!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1524885)   #12
Formula John
Rookie

Formula John has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The best racing on the TV for a long time!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1525038)   #13
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, Durban was the first race in a couple of years where i shouted, cheered and had goosebumps at the end (Verstappen's spin and win). A1GP definatly is a nice class.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1525076)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
URGH Verstappen won?? Awesome! That's great news. I'm a big Jos fan (SHOULD have been the winner of the Brazilian GP 2003 in that Minardi).

I just seem to keep missing the A1. I was heavily behind it on the first race etc and was very close to attending, but I had just repeatedly missed it since. Anyone know where I could maybe download a race or two?

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1525140)   #15
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they post highlights of the last race on the official web site, www.a1gp.com, not sure about the whole race though
Old 18 Feb 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1525482)   #16
jjd
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Well, the more I watch it the more I enjoy it. To see different levels of driver skills being tested in equal machinery makes it all the more interesting for me. There have been to really exciting races of late, the street race from Durban followed by the circuit race from Sentul, both won by a driver coming from the back of the grid.

I think that at times we forget that spectators want to see the thrills and spills of motor racing as well, and A1GP certainly provide that in bucket loads. As more and more people get to hear about the exciting races, I feel it will attrack more interest and from a broader base than present. Lets not forget that this is still the inaugural season and lessons are being learnt, I see next years season as being even better and with some different circuits to boot!
Well said, I had completely lost interest in open wheel racing as the excitment was not there..after seeing that race I am hooked and I am sure others that don't like motorsport will get behind it for the entertainment.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 06:47 (Ref:1525486)   #17
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy it as entertainment, but I dont take it seriously for racing; if that makes sense. Id much rather watch a GP2 race for 'purity'.

But I have been enjoying the last few races. I think Laguna will be good, maybe Mexico. Not too keen on China, I think they dont suit the track and there will be a poor atmosphere.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1526466)   #18
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a bit like going to "Billy Smarts or Chipperfields circus" great entertainment but not the same as seeing them in the wild.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1526575)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good looking car - jordan 7up f1 car. now THAT'S a good looking car!

a1gp is good from a marketing perspective, but the racing doesn't enthrall me. i don't take it too seriously.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1526585)   #20
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i find it hard to get exited by a1. i watch it and love it, and even 'did a suzuka' and got up early for the last race but its just like watching champcars, or the old f3000. or like watching a football match between west brom and sunderland. something to watch, but not something i will get worked up about. the races are good but alot of the times i think thats down to the lack of major talent throughout the grid. so GBR and france have blew it and canada are coming through to take a shock win! i was wide awake and being entertained but i was hardly edge of my seat like i was when gp2 was wowing spectators on a sunday morning in nurberg. and not edge of bed when raikkonen was overtaking fisi on the last lap of suzuka.

the whole 'for the pride of your nations' thing just doesnt work for me at all. maybe its because like i cant choose whether to support GBR or ireland! infact i will admit that the pre-race love-in for the hosting country and the little speech is where i start to cringe and check whats on the other sky channels before turning back for the race start. the point of a world cup is to have the best of each nation competing against each other. now a1 cant have the best because they are either in f1 or sitting on their arses waiting for the traditional motorsport season to begin and showing little or no interest in doing a1.

i would give it a few years before it starts clipping at the heals of even champ cars in my motorsport league table but for now, a1 is still below f1, gp2, indy and a few other series' as far as im concerned. if a1 was part of the tradional summer motorsport season i would also be wathcing it an awful lot less, and many of its drivers would be gone also. you ask premat, lapierre, piquet etc where they wanted to be if gp2 and a1 ever clashed, and a1 will have some seats to fill. jos verstappen cant carry the whole series. its needs some big names and if it gets that then maybe the media will catch on as for now all a1 is, is a sky sports cup.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1526964)   #21
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
good looking car - jordan 7up f1 car. now THAT'S a good looking car!
Suze seriously you are obsessed!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1527028)   #22
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
somebody asked for good looking cars, i named one. end of!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 01:34 (Ref:1527568)   #23
hgmonaro
Racer

Quote:
somebody asked for good looking cars, i named one. end of!
car or colour scheme?

When Luke originally said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
The look of the cars turn me away instantly.
which I asked "what's a good car look like?" and Luke replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Cars from the '90s. Most modern cars apart from Champ Cars and sports cars look ugly to me...A1GP and IRL cars are ugly
Although I would agree that some open wheeler cars look better than others, I would also argue, it doesn't really matter. F1 cars look 'ugly' to me with all the aero-bits hanging off them, but watching on a tele screen, or trackside for that matter, I don't care. To me, Champ Cars (don't know about IRL, don't watch them) look too long. The best 'racing' I've seen are karts, and they don't look exactly flash either. As you say, each to their own.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1528278)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
both - the car and colour scheme. love the shade of green and look at the car - skinny at the front, big fat slicks - lovely.

i quite like these new f1 cars (take the toyota, not the fastest) - they're different, and i think that's what i like about it, can't quite hit what it is. the a1gp cars don't have a wow factor with them for me, when you just look at a picture.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1528453)   #25
hgmonaro
Racer

Quote:
...big fat slicks...
gotta agree with that!

however, would you agree that once they're racing, it doesn't matter?