Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Aug 2003, 11:18 (Ref:703936)   #1
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More Bad News

I Have just heard that the Reece Bancell and rider in the Australian Supersport championship has been killed today at eastern creek.A number of riders collided triggering the accident.

My Condolences to Reece's Family and Friends
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 31 Aug 2003, 23:18 (Ref:704364)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not according to this mornings Superbike media reports:

Quote:
Team Suzuki's Craig Coxhell has won the 2003 Shell Advance Australian Superbike Championship today at Eastern Creek, delivering Suzuki Australia its fourth consecutive Championship.

Coxhell finished first in today's round with a clean sweep of both races and his team-mate Shawn Giles was second after a pair of runner-ups.

"I am really stoked to have won the Championship, especially for Phil Tainton, Suzuki Australia and the rest of our sponsors," said Coxhell.

"It was a day of mixed emotions with what happened to Reece Bancell," he concluded referring to an accident that left Suzuki Supersport rider Reece Bancell in a critical condition in hospital.
Old 31 Aug 2003, 23:37 (Ref:704377)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At http://mcnews.com.au/ they say something similar RaceTime, but I suspect that was early in the day.

To quote the news page "A number of riders went down after a fierce collision at Eastern Creek’s turn one. The incident was treated as extremely serious and the organisers chose to abandon the remainder of the meeting as ambulances carried the injured riders away for treatment."

...whereas it was written elsewhere that the police actually called for the meeting to be abandoned.

Whichever way, it is more sadness that anyone can get hurt in the sport they love
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Aug 2003, 23:49 (Ref:704384)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

True - with due respect to bondy_racing however, I believe any 'announcements' of racing related deaths shouldn't be made until at least an official announcement has been made -friends of this rider could have seen this, and not having heard from his family, could be now thinking the worst has happened.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 04:26 (Ref:704448)   #5
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is from MCnews and I borrowed a bit of it from Conrod, just to clarifly things.

We regret to inform you that after a serious turn one crash at Eastern Creek yesterday in the final Australian Supersport race for 2003, 19-year-old Hornsby (NSW) resident Reece Bancell has lost his life.
Reece was one of Australia's brightest young road racers and was passionately committed to the sport he loved.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 04:38 (Ref:704451)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 1 Sep 2003, 05:46 (Ref:704463)   #7
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
True - with due respect to bondy_racing however, I believe any 'announcements' of racing related deaths shouldn't be made until at least an official announcement has been made -friends of this rider could have seen this, and not having heard from his family, could be now thinking the worst has happened.
whatever you reckon

Last edited by bondy_racing; 1 Sep 2003 at 05:48.
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:09 (Ref:704473)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Think about it then -although sevi has posted her article *today* everything else being posted last night indicated he was in hospital, albeit in critical condition. And, apart from sevi's article, there still isn't any other confirmation either way - Motorcycling Australia are not commenting and neither are Motorcycling Victoria.

All I am suggesting is that the statement attributed to the Mark Twain are adhered to - The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:15 (Ref:704475)   #9
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
i understand so if i did offend or make anyone angry accpet my apology.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:17 (Ref:704476)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The happy little moderator vegemites at conrod were all too happy to pronounce similar tidings without published and verifiable supporting articles.

If bondy_racing took the detail from there, I would suggest the original source is also not quite squeaky clean on this.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:28 (Ref:704481)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

I have been making calls and checking news sources - I still can't get any verification on his condition or what happened.

Whilst I don't like posting any news of a death or serious injury, I will wait until I have either a CAMS, police or circuit issued release about an incident.

Last edited by RaceTime; 1 Sep 2003 at 06:29.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:35 (Ref:704488)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I cant find mention other than words similar to the ones I posted above anywhere, none of the regular newspaper sites seem to be carrying it, nor CAMS or MCNews. Quite strange.

The thread I posted about Alex Yoong's accident yesterday came after talking to his local management, who subsequently confirmed the condition himself.

You should try getting info out of Malaysia though, its a lot worse... Reuters, AP, AAP all carried the story of the race itself, but not much about the incident that put Alex into hospital. And I did try babelfish to convert languages, and was no help at all.....

Sometimes despite the information age, it feels like we are still flying blind.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:54 (Ref:704502)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
MC News now has the story...

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Riders/ReeceBancell/vale.htm
Old 1 Sep 2003, 06:56 (Ref:704503)   #14
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
i got my info from conrod from mr shaw who posted on 6:04pm yesterday afternoon
Old 1 Sep 2003, 08:49 (Ref:704598)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't really know why CAMS would have a statement... I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but on the news when there has been a death, that they say something along the lines of "Police have not released the name of the deceased", and like Racetime said, it's done for a reason so that family and friends are made aware of the situation.

I've seen Reece race a couple times and was very impressed, he could have gone all the way.

This shyte year continues
Old 1 Sep 2003, 10:00 (Ref:704656)   #16
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very sad year in motorsport.
Old 1 Sep 2003, 21:43 (Ref:705129)   #17
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very bad news.

(Also reminds me of Channel Ten reporting Possum Bourne's death about 10 hours early!)