Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Aug 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1394329)   #1
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Series by Renault - Donington 9th to 11th Sept

I got my tickets and instructions thru this morning, and after the great weekend at Oulton i just had i almost had a heart attack when i read the schedule. Unless i've lost the ability to read, we have 30 mins timetabled for lunch on the Saturday and NOTHING on the Sunday. I know this'll bring on all the "Silverstone LMES Whining" again but come on, what is going on?

We are racing on the GP circuit and the instructions have 27 names for the Sat and 39 for the Sunday. I'm assuming the Donington ES Team are to be added to that, but the chances of having 2 per post are pretty slim by the looks of it. On paper it looks worse than the LMES was, but at least with that i had the pleasure of watching prototypes. I'm going to email BARC to see if it's not as bad as it currently looks, but right now i can see my passes being returned.....
Old 30 Aug 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1394342)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.barc.net/timetables/dtt200532.htm

That's the timetable as it has been on the BARC website for a while - has it changed?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1394366)   #3
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BARC timetable does show a circuit length 1.93 miles, which is the National rather than the GP circuit.

Not that I'm bothered 'cos I'll be at Silverstone, but I think it'll end up being like the Minardi weekends from previous years with lots of promotion meaning big crowds and that means lots of track activity time.

Al.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1394386)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman

That's the timetable as it has been on the BARC website for a while - has it changed?
Since it's now three days, not two, I guess the answer is yes, not that I can find the updated version anywhere.

hepatic, I gave up the 'LMES whining' method at Donington, and a couple of years ago took option 2 of the 'what to do if you don't like it' advice. I don't go anymore. Expect to take a while getting out on Sunday if the ticket numbers on this site are accurate.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1394403)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re which version of the circuit: thread here suggests it's been moved to the international. Anyone know if that's true?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1394420)   #6
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has changed substantially from the original timetable, and yes it's on the full GP circuit with the Melbourne Loop, as that's the 2.5mile circuit that is also mentioned in the notes. I've posted a copy of the timetable here » http://www.hepatic.no-ip.org/donington.jpg

It's a real shame as i was looking forward to meeting up with some friends i made when i was last at Donington, but unless that schedule has changed you'll not see me there...
Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1394432)   #7
paul leedham
Racer

England
Grimsby
paul leedham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman

Recieved my passes and instructions yesterday and the time table is totally different from above with 1 hour lunch breaks. Only doing Friday & Saturday tho (Cadwell MGCC Sunday) but with all 150,000 tickets gone does'nt leave much elbow room for flagging
Old 30 Aug 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1394473)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm doing Friday and Saturday (Sunday at Curborough). Those two days look being enough for me. (I've just returned from three days at the Oulton Gold Cup; fantastic cars and meeting but I now need a quiet day at work to recover.)

Regards

Jim
Old 31 Aug 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1395621)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know the Thursday testing timetable for all the series?
Old 31 Aug 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1395655)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
I'm afraid i haven't heard owt about the Thursday, but i did get this reply from BARC today:
Quote:

Steve
Thanks for the e mail which has been forwarded to me for attention.

I will not be at Donington myself as I have another meeting to run elsewhere but I have studied the timetable for it and can easily see why you have jumped to this conclusion. The BARC, as one of the only International organising clubs left, is not completely unaware of the strength of feelings amongst marshals, particularly from Donington, about breaks and lunchbreaks. So, during both Saturday and Sunday, we have ensured that there are a number of occasions when there are marshal stand down periods for the likes of track displays and parades which do not need to be marshalled. These various periods will become evident as the meeting unfolds and even in the unlikely event that the lunchbreak is compromised, these stand down periods should not be.

However, you may be interested to know, one thing is for sure, my colleagues and the volunteers in Race Control will be active from before marshals sign on untill well after most people are home and in bed, and with no breaks at all ! Good luck to them.

Hope you can work with us on this one – I’m sure it will be a fantastic meeting

Regards

DALE WELLS

Old 5 Sep 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1399800)   #11
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
steve swallow
After looking at the timetable i will not be going. I will be going to help out at Cadwell for the weekend.

steve
Old 5 Sep 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1399807)   #12
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Could someone please explain, is there any racing on the Sunday?

But haha, I got my tickets free from Renault car club so I don't lose out
Old 5 Sep 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1399819)   #13
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well thats us told then, isn't it!
If we think we have it bad think about the poor souls in race control, at from before we get their in the morning and still their when we get to bed with no breaks.
Carpets must smell a bit then.

All comments like that do is get peoples backs up (hence reply) and does nothing to encourage marshals onto the bank.

When people of Dale Wells standing makes comments like that it does make me wonder what clubs really do think of us.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1400063)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Precisely why i ain't bothering, i'm knackered enough as it is without putting myself thru that kind of timetable
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1400108)   #15
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, Dale tells you that you will get plenty of stand down time during the demonstrations. Fine if you still don't want to do it, but do you really have to keep complaining about it?

Dale's point about the race control-based officials working even longer hours is valid. I don't see why you should belittle the work that your fellow team-members - because that is what they are - are putting in.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1400413)   #16
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if it appeared that I was belittling race control I was Not. My point was that Dale states "without any break". What is one of the reasons us marshals want a break is so we can use the toilets (hence comment about wet carpets). Lets face it at Donington some of the post are a long way from any toilets. Not just down the corridor like in race control. I do think the bit about still being there when we are in bed is OTT in my oppinion.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1400720)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver
I do think the bit about still being there when we are in bed is OTT in my oppinion.
But it's true flagwaver. How many times have there been protests brought on by incidents during the last race? If these have to be taken to a Steward's enquiry as well then some people might well be still at the circuit when we are all still in bed.

As for the meeting this weekend, I'm really sorry to be missing it. It's one of my favourite meetings of the year but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) the only flights and hotel accommodation we could get were for tomorrow. I did send my apologies to Sara in April just after we'd booked though!

I'm sure it will be an excellent meeting and would urge anyone who can get to Donington this weekend to go and enjoy it - especially the Meganes and Clios!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1400871)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Potential Delays In Getting Out Of Donington On Sunday

The crowd for this event is expected to be massive and Donington have put together a "Plan" to ease traffic congestion

See here....... http://www.donington-park.co.uk/renault/trafficplan.pdf
Old 7 Sep 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1401048)   #19
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
I have to say Donington does a cracking job at trying to get traffic moving as best it can. It's probably one of the hardest tracks to access to large volumes of vehicles, yet they do a great job at trying to direct everything and keep it moving. I've never had any problems when i went to the superbikes or MotoGP...
Old 7 Sep 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1401064)   #20
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HELP!! I'm planning to have a weekend off and spectate this one, BUT... My 'free' tickets haven't arrived and Renault are playing silly beggers for replacements.

Could anyone help me out with 2 tickets? PLEASE?!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1401193)   #21
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
HELP!! I'm planning to have a weekend off and spectate this one, BUT... My 'free' tickets haven't arrived and Renault are playing silly beggers for replacements.

Could anyone help me out with 2 tickets? PLEASE?!
pm me your address, and I'll send you mine as i'm not going to need them anymore.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1401410)   #22
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
I have to say Donington does a cracking job at trying to get traffic moving as best it can. It's probably one of the hardest tracks to access to large volumes of vehicles, yet they do a great job at trying to direct everything and keep it moving. I've never had any problems when i went to the superbikes or MotoGP...
Getting there nice and early for sign on and toast should at least mean I miss the traffic on the way in, but getting out might be a different matter. Hope it runs better than the traffic at the BTCC meeting I did in 2003, when it took me an hour to get our of the circuit from Redgate. Looking forward to the meeting though.
Old 11 Sep 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1404340)   #23
Tango n Crash
Rookie

Tango n Crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back home.

After a couple of days at Donny, I opted not to do today (Sunday). A bright day on friday followed by a dismal day Saturday. A long damp day, but they kept things on schedule, thanks for that!
I was a little dismayed at the full 5minute countdown for the 3 races, I guess the invited guests were having a startline walk about!
Difficult to know what is happening when you're out in the country, no radios etc. A little more effort to keep us informed is much appreciated.
At the end of a long day, damp and tired a little appreciation goes a long way. This can be shown in many ways, some simple, some low cost, but if we are to keep marshal numbers from falling we should be 'encouraging' organisers to support the forgotten few (and becoming fewer).
Groan over.
Some great cars and some competitive driving. Shame about the F1 car though.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1405661)   #24
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a pretty good day down on the exit of Melbourne, highlight of the day was the transformation of a normal track sweeping brush into a high tech implement for releasing the clutch of a Formula Renault stuck in gear. In simple terms - shove the handle into the footwell till it goes click, then push! Nice of the driver of the old R5 rally car to powerslide out of Melbourne just as our car pushing posse were passing him trackside. Some pretty good racing, and at least it was dry for one day out of three!
Old 13 Sep 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1406626)   #25
Fred Bromley
Racer

United Kingdom
Lutterworth
Fred Bromley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks

Now I have recovered from the weekend, may I say thaks to all who were there at the weekend for all the hard work and putting up with the long hours and the rather wet conditions. Hope you all enjoyed it, I know I did. Apologies for not walking around to all the posts but I got lumbered with sitting in the safety car for most of the weekend. The only problem with this was that I don't speak French and the driver does not speak much English! This did lead to a certain amount of confusion at times inside the car!
Thanks again,
Fred